Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > Elegant E's

Date: 06/26/20 05:00
Elegant E's
Author: Bob3985

This photo was taken on one of our trips out in California for the American Cancer Society in the Feather River Canyon area. 
Here we had stopped to do a photo run in the great sunshine that really accentuated the armour yellow train.
By the time we had gotten to Portola, turned the train at Reno Jct and returned the weather had gone in the dumper and the Feather River was being inundated with torrential rain.
Needless to say no photo runs and we had to hold for the maintenance crews to blast a boulder off the tracks before proceeding.
After a discussion with the MTO, Jimmy Carter, that was his name btw, it was decided to go west the next day from Oroville to Niles Canyon to turn and return because the Canyon was still going to be to unstable to chance a second trip that direction. As it turned out the rains kept up the second day.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/26/20 07:06
Re: Elegant E's
Author: UP951West

Bob, this is a very fine image . Thanks for sharing. --Kelly

Date: 06/26/20 07:21
Author: gcm

Great shot - miss those E units.
Gary

Date: 06/26/20 07:53
Author: jgilmore

Beautiful! That's how a passenger train should look... JG

Date: 06/26/20 07:58

I totally concur JG.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/26/20 08:32
Author: MILW16

Great photo.  Front door and grab irons and UNION PACIFIC across the nose of 951.  Just as I remember them from the 1960s.

Thanks for posting the pic - those were certainly good days.

Date: 06/26/20 09:27
Author: SCKP187

Beautiful photo--the nose as intended and some of the best looking passenger train equipment in the country.
Brian Stevens

Date: 06/26/20 09:44

On some of the trips while we were unlodaing the passengers for a photo run I would slip up front and take the ditch lights off for the photos and then replace them as we were loading back up.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/26/20 11:50
Author: krm152

That they are, ELEGANT.
ALLEN

Date: 06/26/20 12:29
Author: texchief1

Excellent shot, Bob!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, tX

Date: 06/26/20 14:31
Author: agentatascadero

I rode one UP passenger special up Feather River sometime in the '90s, I believe.  Having traveled on the CZ through this territory in previous years, it was disorienting to me to se a UP yellow train where there "should be" a Budd stainless steel domeliner before my eyes.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 06/26/20 15:39
Author: Rmosele

Those were such beautiful locomotives. The first one I ever saw was a NYC black one that, even with the drab color, took my 6 year old breath away.

Date: 06/26/20 16:23
Author: TheNavigator

Beautiful shot!  I've always liked UPs Armour Yellow paint scheme on E and F units; right up there with Santa Fe Warbonnet IMHO.
GK

Date: 06/27/20 01:04
Author: Odyssey

Thanks for sharing the image, Bob ...
What a nice touch to preserving history
with the ditch lights comments ... wow!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds