Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Nostalgia & History > Winter Scenes at Burke Siding on the BN C&I Sub 30+ Years ago

Date: 07/09/20 09:08
Winter Scenes at Burke Siding on the BN C&I Sub 30+ Years ago
Author: MWBaker

Some cool weather inspiration for yet another day above 90 degrees here in Northern Illinois (July 2020).

3 decades ago,  one of my favorite destinations was Burke Siding along the Burlington Northern's C&I Line (Aurora Sub). Just East of Savanna, Illinois this ex-CB&Q line parallels the (then) SOO Line (ex-MILW) just up the road to the North.

In this video clip from 1988 we have sequences of a WB with a B unit seen from South of the bridge across an Illinois field with a train waiting in the siding, the EB climbing the hill, and another WB sliding past after I'd ventured off for a shot of the bridge.

Keep cool & enjoy!

Mark Baker
La Salle, IL
Historic ROWs trace w/ USDA Aerials

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/20 11:02 by MWBaker.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/09/20 20:18
Re: Winter Scenes at Burke Siding on the BN C&I Sub 30+ Years ago
Author: kyrasmus

Loved the "Expediter" Chicago-St.Paul trains...totally against the PSR model of today!!

Date: 07/10/20 09:13
Re: Winter Scenes at Burke Siding on the BN C&I Sub 30+ Years ago
Author: ntharalson

Good stuff thanks for posting.  You can't do these shots today.  Well, you can shoot off the Big Cut Road bridge, but the shots will be much more "nose on" due to the encroaching foliage. 
Some friends of mine have commented that the removal of the code lines, while maybe a good thing for the railroad, hurt railfan photography at lot.  It at least made it a lot toughter in the
Midwest.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0293 seconds