Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Nostalgia & History > B&O Car Shops, Sandusky, Ohio 1920

Date: 10/17/20 17:56
B&O Car Shops, Sandusky, Ohio 1920
Author: zars

I had posted this photo on my Facebook page back on September 6th, the 100th anniversary of this photo.  The man standing in front of the "M" on the Mobile and Ohio wood sided gondola car is my maternal grandfather.  I was given this photo by my aunt and is from my grandfather's collection.

The B&O line to Sandusky was one of the earliest rail lines built in Ohio.  It was abandoned by the Chessis System in 1979 and there is practically no sign of the railroad to be found in Sandusky city today.

I hope this photo will display properly here.  It is a very large photo (36" x 8.5") that is framed and hangs in my home.  If not, you are welcome to copy it and use your computer's photo display feature to enlarge it. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/20 18:02 by zars.

Date: 10/17/20 20:52
Re: B&O Car Shops, Sandusky, Ohio 1920
Author: MartyBernard

The contrast is too high.  Everything that is in the slightest shadow has gone black.  All the white shirts are too white.  Everybody along the top of the locomotive are basically  bleached out.

I played with it and it has a lot of potenrial.  The problem is that reducjng it so it will fit on a computer screen reduces the quality.  It needs to be worked on full scale.

Good Luck,
Marty Bernard

Date: 10/18/20 06:52
Author: rrpreservation

Thank you for sharing this photo!!! It's a bit of saved history.

Date: 10/19/20 06:19

Yes, I agree; even the original photo is a bit washed out, especially on the extreme left and right sides.  It appears to have been a bright sunny day when the photo was taken.  As I said, I welcome anyone to make a copy and try their hand at improving it.

Date: 10/19/20 06:36

These are scans of enlargements someone provided to me on my Facebook post on September 6th.  Almost in the very center of the third photo; note the "MOBILE & OHIO" wood sided gondola car. The man standing in front of the "M" on that car is Natale ("Pete") Marinello (1885 - 1967), my maternal grandfather. He came to America from Valle di Cadore in the Veneto region of Italy. I was proud to have visited this mountain town in the Dolomites (Alps) in 2015 walking the streets and paths he once did. This was given to me many years ago by my aunt, Emma Marinello.

Date: 10/19/20 06:41

Here are the remaining sectional scans.  I hope these bring out a little more detail on the faces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/20 06:42 by zars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds