Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Nostalgia & History > NS with FEC run-through

Date: 11/15/20 06:17
NS with FEC run-through
Author: RFandPFan

Back in 1995, NS frequently had FEC power run-through on a northbound intermodal out of Jacksonville, Florida.  Here is a short video at Crawford. Florida.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/15/20 07:19
Re: NS with FEC run-through
Author: ns2557

If I remember correctly, this was NS 210 North and 209 south. FEC Jax to NS Atlanta. When I was living back that way in Ga and good buddy of mine and myself stayed up late into the early morning hours in Atlanta waiting for the first run of this one. Hoping it had FEC power on it. We were disappointed that it didn't. Heard the next nights train did have FEC Units on it tho. Nice catch. Ben

Date: 11/15/20 16:54
Author: gbmott

I could easily be misremembering but seems like this was a Jacksonville - Macon contract haulage operation that was catering to a single major customer.   I would see it from my office window.  It never generated much traffic and didn't last very long.  It was easily recognizable as it was the only time you would see a two-unit FEC consist north of Bowden Yard.

Gordon

Date: 11/16/20 13:42
Author: RailHD1060

This was a short lived Train hualage agreement between FEC & NS between Macon and Jacksonville.  Marketed as the Georgia-Florida Xpress or GFX.  Operated as 086 on the NS.  Also nicknamed the "Red Train" due to the red painted FEC TOFC flats dedicated to this train.

Date: 11/16/20 15:15
Author: RFandPFan

RailHD1060 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was a short lived Train hualage agreement
> between FEC & NS between Macon and Jacksonville. 
> Marketed as the Georgia-Florida Xpress or GFX. 
> Operated as 086 on the NS.  Also nicknamed the
> "Red Train" due to the red painted FEC TOFC flats
> dedicated to this train.

Thanks for the info!

Date: 11/16/20 15:31
Author: Lackawanna484

Like it!

The Speedway to the Sun script looked great on the GP40-2 units

Posted from Android

Date: 11/17/20 15:41
Author: RailHD1060

The train was a fan favorite due to the Speedway to Sunshine painted units 444-447.  These units along with 430 & 431 were FECs only dynamic brake equipped units at the time and were required by NS crews who operated the trains between Macon and Jacksonville.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds