Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Nostalgia & History > Illinois Terminal Locations/Directions

Date: 02/22/21 05:29
Illinois Terminal Locations/Directions
Author: Art045

Good Morning - here are some IT images where I could use help with locations/directions.  These first three were all taken by Henry Stange on March 8, 1953.  They were his exposures 24, 25 and 31. Thanks in advance for any/all responses!!  All the best, Art

Date: 02/22/21 06:41
Re: Illinois Terminal Locations/Directions
Author: refarkas

Traction treasures.
Bob

Date: 02/22/21 07:48
Author: elueck

Great thing about central Illinois.  It all looks the same.  The company box cars in the train must be going somewhere to pick up company equipment.    

Date: 02/22/21 08:16
Author: Conch

No help with these Art, but thanks for sharing the wonderful classic images in your collection.

Date: 02/22/21 11:12
Author: bnsfsd70

Wow!  Neat stuff.  I'm no help either, but I sure do enjoy these.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 02/22/21 11:56

One of my contacts on the Illinois Terminal Face book page, Michael Forney, has identified the depot as the Mindale Depot (between Minier and Hopedale, Illinois.)  He believes that the others were taken south of Mindale towards the station of Union.  For the IT fans, Mindale was the location of the famous Mindale Hump, where the IT had a flyover across the GM&O 'Jack" line from Bloomington to Jacksonville.  Nothing there at all except a bit of the fill on the south side.  

Date: 02/22/21 12:18

Excellent - please tell him "thanks!"  Here's one more of the 70 with its train on that March 1953 day.  This was Henry's exposure 34.  Thanks in advance for any/all help!!  Art

Date: 02/22/21 14:38
Author: MEKoch

Took my first ride in 1949 at age 3 from Morton south to St. Louis.  And on the years thereafter, I always wanted to look out the front window.  In 1952 in first grade at Morton Grade School on E. Jefferson, my first grade classroom looked out on the tracks and I did not miss many trains.  Sadly in 1955 the tracks were removed from Jefferson St. and the IT began using the PRR tracks through Morton.  But my 3rd grade teacher ( Mrs. Eliza Ackerman) was happy because I was not distracted by the trains.  

Date: 02/22/21 17:10
Author: icancmp193

Love these ITC shots! Unfortunately, I didn't get to the area until the SD39 era.

TJY

Date: 02/22/21 19:08
Author: GP25

Why do we have a second pole here?

I don't think I have seen a second pole on an electric locomotive.

I have see it in Cincinnati with the streetcar service they had many years ago.

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 02/22/21 20:04
Author: JimBaker

The second pole is for dual power pickup. The locomotive uses a lot of 'juice' when powering a heavy freight,
too
The Cincinnati trolleys used one wire for positive voltage supply and that other for power-return, obviating the need for ground-return causing corrosion to metal pipes at the point of a break in continuity to the power substation.
The same wire situation was used for Trolley Coaches.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 02/22/21 21:40

Michael Fortney tells me that the last image is the northbound freight entering the south side of Lincoln, IL.

Date: 02/23/21 06:08

Good Morning and thanks much for all the reactions/responses!!  Glad to know more about these images, will start another posting in a short bit.  Have a great day, Art

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds