Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some Flares for Friday

Date: 02/26/21 13:06
Some Flares for Friday
Author: tehachcond

Some of these may have been posted before, but if so, it's been awhile ago.  I shot these shot at  various locations in California.

1.  A set of almost new SD45's heads up a westbound at Summit, on Cajon Pass.  Shot undated, but I think it was about 1967.

2.  An eastbound at speed between Edison and Sandcut is about to climb the famed Tehachapi grade.  1967.

3.  Two GP40X's head up a UP officers special on Cajon  The train was about to come to a stop on a red at Lugo, and was not happy about the delay to such an important train.  The Santa Fe DS quickly reminded them whose railroad they were on and crossed three westbounds over ahead of him. Undated.

Thank you for looking, and as always, comments welcome.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 02/26/21 13:24
Re: Some Flares for Friday
Author: DD40

Number 2 is great!

Date: 02/26/21 13:29
Author: Txtrainman60

Damn! I can't get over how good that first shot is for as old as it has to be!!!! looks like it was shot yesterday!!

Date: 02/26/21 15:21
Author: Conch

Love the broadside of the 1823.

Date: 02/26/21 15:35

Txtrainman60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Damn! I can't get over how good that first shot
> is for as old as it has to be!!!! looks like it
> was shot yesterday!!

Thanks for your kind comment. You have to love the old Kodachrome.  I forget what version I used for that shot.  It was a scan off of a slide of course, and I only had to do minimal touchimg up with Lightroom.

Brian

Date: 02/26/21 18:00
Author: Fizzboy7

I believe that is the UP special that ran the red and later the crew got fired.    Pentrex's "Best of 198x" was there filming the incident...

Date: 02/27/21 11:05

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that is the UP special that ran the red
> and later the crew got fired.    Pentrex's "Best
> of 198x" was there filming the incident...
>
I heard about that incident at Summit where a UP officers special got by a red one, but the train pictured here wasn't the culprit.  We'd been in the area virtually all day, mostly around the Summit area.  Our scanner was keeping us current with what was going on.
Later, we decided to go down to Lugo to catch Amtrak #35, the "Desert Wind."  While waiting, this special pulled down to the signal at the Lugo crossovers and stopped.  Prior to that, we had no idea a special of any kind was on the district. #35 was one of the westbounds the DS crossed over ahead of it.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO
>  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds