Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Nostalgia & History > RZorko Audio ATSF Chief Joliet July 1972

Date: 03/01/21 12:14
RZorko Audio ATSF Chief Joliet July 1972
Author: zoohogger

I present to you a station stop on the afternoon of July 17, 1972.
We are on the station platform at Joliet, Illinois.
Shiny SantaFe F units are on the point of a westbound Amtrak passenger train. I have nothing that tells me if it has a name, but I feel that Chief would fit.
I have shortened the wait time, but the stopped time was no more than 3 minutes. Just wasn't sure how much idling F unit you wanted to hear.
Notice the how much the train speeds up as it leaves.
My brother has supplied the color slides and it is my audio.

Enjoy.

Rick Z

This is a 4 slide show with audio. NOT a video.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/01/21 13:09
Re: RZorko Audio ATSF Chief Joliet July 1972
Author: mp51w

AOTD!

Date: 03/01/21 13:49
Author: RodneyZona

Old Santa Fe  Railway Ft Madison, IA based passenger train and engine crews worked to and from Chicago.

Date: 03/01/21 14:26
Author: Bob3985

The diamonds at Joliet UD were always a treat between the scheduled passenger service and the freights passing as well.
I knew a towerman over in the UD Tower, Elmer Campbell, and he would let me go up and visit with him. 
I knew well in advance of the approaching ATSF/GM&O, CRIP trains.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/01/21 20:29
Author: UP951West

Sure enjoyed this recording. ATSF F units and the train crashing over the diamonds at Joliet  ... oh boy what a treat.  Thanks for sharoing. --Kelly

Date: 03/02/21 04:43
Author: Evan_Werkema

If the slides show the train you recorded, that's more likely the westbound Amtrak Super Chief, which was scheduled to stop at Joliet at 7:20 p.m.  The short-lived Amtrak Chief was due to stop at Joliet westbound at 10:20 a.m.  It was a shorter train that usually only had an ABAB set of F-units:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3434366

Date: 03/02/21 06:58
Author: randgust

Yeah, I rode the train that month Chicago - Pasadena.   Consist was F7A,F7B, F7A,F7B, baggage car, two hi levels, a Burlington dome-lounge, UP diner, two pullmans, one ATSF, one early Amtrak.   At Kansas City we added two more pullmans (UP, unknown) and a C&O coach from the National Limited.   I've modelled this train because it really was a 'pocket streamliner' and a rather unusual train.   By the end of '72 into '73 Amtrak the F's were tired enough that FP45's and F45's were getting paired with B-units for steam heat on the Super Chief, so '72 really was the last year of finding an all F7 power set in red and silver.   I milepost clocked our set at 97mph west of Dodge City making up time for a delayed National connection.   Just FLYING over jointed rail, never forgot it.

So I'd buy into the observation this is more than likely the Super Chief/El Cap; I've never seen the 19/20 consist with more than four units or two hi-levels, although what showed up behind it could be very interesting - everything from conventional lounges to the Burlington dome I rode in, and a couple shots with slumbercoaches in it.   It was a pretty short train at Joliet.    The schedule put it out of Union Station later morning, KC at late lunch time (I remember being in the diner at KCUS), through Raton at night, and Arizona during daylight - which I really enjoyed because the Super Chief schedule westbound put northern Arizona in darkness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/21 07:05 by randgust.

Date: 03/02/21 16:34
Author: zoohogger

Yes, slides are the actual recorded train.  Late in the day, so Super Chief sounds, well, super.

Rick Z

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds