Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > Amtrak (looks like UP) giving passengers the runaround @ Cheyenne

Date: 05/19/22 11:55
Amtrak (looks like UP) giving passengers the runaround @ Cheyenne
Author: valmont

Back on July 4, 1971 Bruce Black got this sequence of what he labeled 'Tr 102* heading into the Cheyenne yard with #904 leading followed by 967B and 926. At Cheyenne the power was run around the train and when it left Cheyenne #926 was on the point followed by 967B and 904 and the passenger cars were now in reverse order behind the power. The next 2 are of it continuing is eastward journey by heading west out of Cheyenne until it reached Speer .. then taking the leg that curves east for a little ways (pic 2) until it then turns south to Denver (pic 3). 

Tr 102 was the UP's City of San Francisco. Amtrak kept running it 3 times a week until mid '72 then it became a daily train, renamed the San Francisco Zephyr.

Date: 05/19/22 11:59
Re: Amtrak (looks like UP) giving passengers the runaround @ Chey
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots!! Old UP RR Denver based worked to and from Cheyenne.

Date: 05/19/22 12:06
Author: railstiesballast

If your date of 7/4/71 is correct, I wonder why those old head UP crew people did not come up with a pair of American Flags.
If it had been a UP operation I am pretty sure they would have been there.
IIRC the whole train was backwards from Denver to Cheyenne, as a coach passenger I remember riding like that.

Date: 05/20/22 08:55
Author: texchief1

Excellent shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0316 seconds