Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > N&W GE in Denver, OK, but check the color

Date: 11/23/22 05:19
N&W GE in Denver, OK, but check the color
Author: valmont

Here's a visitor in Denver I photographed on 2/24/79 ... I'd seen N&W power in Denver once in a while, but this was the first one that could have qualified for 'Maroon Monday'

Date: 11/23/22 05:38
Re: N&W GE in Denver, OK, but check the color
Author: Notch7

Nice pic of the 8010.  When I had it post merger it was still red but much dirtier and duller.  There were several engines in red for special duty like office car trains. I think there were two C30's and SD40-2 6175.

Date: 11/23/22 06:17
Author: PasadenaSub

A N&W 'Heritage' unit - in the colors of their GP9s and fleet of passenger cars from the heyday of Class J up to the 1960s when the Pevler Blue (inherited from the Wabash) took over.

Nice catch in Denver.

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/22 07:56 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 11/23/22 06:49
Author: Roadmaster

That is a sharp looking locomotive.  There were 6 maroon C30-7's: 8010, 8076, 8077, 8078, 8079 and 8080.

Matthew

Date: 11/23/22 08:05
Author: ironmtn

Nice image - thanks. I saw one of the units in that paint once in Kansas City. It could look really great from some angles, but from others just looked like a big purplish blob. It needed something else to offset and define, perhaps a golden belt stripe along the frame edge or the roofline. That possibly could have really sharpened it up.

But that was not the sentiment at N&W in those days, with a tight focus on costs. A "dip job" with a logo was about as much as they were willing to do. The other partner in the future marriage that made today's NS was, on the other hand, running power in a handsome but not overly elaborate "tuxedo scheme" that not only looked much better, but had better visibility for safety. It's too bad that Southern's sentiment about motive power livery had not penetrated up into the hierarchy in Roanoke at the time. They perhaps could have made something really nice, and better safety-wise, out of this effort.

MC

Date: 11/23/22 10:13
Author: jgilmore

Nice shot, saw those a few times on the Detroit District back in the day...

JG

Date: 11/23/22 10:46
Author: dan

i may have seen the same unit same day, passenger power, they had 7 or so of those for specials

Date: 11/23/22 14:29
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Here are two the 8080-8079 on the Roanoke Chapter NRHS Independence Limited at Muncie, IN July 28, 1980

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/22 19:29 by PCCRNSEngr.

Date: 11/24/22 08:39
Author: SantaFe9820

That maroon and the trailing Jenks blue complement each other very well!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds