Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Nostalgia & History > Mrs. Catherine Flynn August21, 1866 – December 31, 1932

Date: 12/01/22 16:43
Mrs. Catherine Flynn August21, 1866 – December 31, 1932
Author: flynn

While we were living in Malta my father’s mother died. According to my Mom we took Train 19 on the night of December 30 to Glenwood. 

My father must have been in touch with his younger brother, James.  James and his wife Frances Tracy Flynn lived in the southern duplex at 915 Bennett, Glenwood and Mrs. Flynn and her daughter, Nora, lived in the northern Duplex. 

Sometime in the 1990’s I contacted the offices of Southern Pacific and asked if I could hava copy of my Grandfather’s William Flynn work record.  The lady I talked with said I was in luck, that they were about to discard those records.  I received in the mail the records of my Father and Uncles Bill, Dan and James.  I also received records for other men named Flynn.  The work record for my dad shows Laying off 12-31-32, Returned to service 01-04-33. 

Picture 1, Call Number: X-8859.  Credit: Denver Public Library.  Title: Glenwood Springs Depot.  Date: [1910-1930].  Summary: Snow and slush cover the tracks of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad in the town of Glenwood Springs (formerly known as Defiance), Colorado, in Garfield County.  Icicles hang off of the hipped roof of the depot building, whose architectural features include stone masonry and a square bay.  Sign: "Glenwood Springs."

This picture must have been how Glenwood looked when we arrived on the morning of December 31.  We must have gone directly to 915 Bennett.  My Mom said that Mrs. Flynn died about two hours after we arrived.   

Picture 2, is the roundhouse at Funston [Glenwood Springs] taken by Mr. H. C. Sweet.  This is where James worked.  Engines from this roundhouse were added to trains from the west to help them to Minturn.

Picture 3, Shoshone Depot. 

I wonder what my Dad thought as No. 19 that night passed through places where he had worked. 

Shoshone, Dad’s Diary.

614 Wednesday, February 1st, 1922 to Sunday, February 5th, 1922.  Shoshone, Colo. and plenty of snow.  The result on one continual round of storms.  Expecting Frances to return each and every evening to relieve Mr. J.F.  The row - of the thermometers being out of order - still rages.  The snow measures 18 inches on the level.  On Feb 3rd Mr. H.O. arrives at HN to relieve Mr. Kilgore for a day.  Some sport.  Some music near midnight of Feb. 2nd for Kn at RU.  A word or two with F. at GX.  Retired early.  2 am.  H.O. and I sleep in K's bed. 

615  Berger calls us at 6:45 am to breakfast.  H.O. on duty at 8 am.  I go back to bed.  H.O. wakes me at 10:25 am for No. 15 sake.  Parading around the office in my "BVDs".  No 15 arrives so does B&B Gang of men for their checks.  H.O. as agent.  All goes well with music until midnight.  GM. Berger.  A new day - Feb 4th, 1922.  H.O. works until No. 15 and Kilgore arrives.  All set.  West local takes H.O. to GN.  Kilgore preaches a bit about the doctor, book.  No. 16 arrives and so does "Berger".  Another scrap.  Sunday and all is well.  Shoveling snow for a change.  Frances arrives on No. 16.  I work until midnight.  G.B.

616 Monday, February 6th, 1922.  Out at 7 am for breakfast.  Packed my little suitcase after breakfast.  A long chat with Kilgore.  All set for No. 94.  Expected to reach HN at 12:45 pm.  Frances appears on the scene.  Dinner ola-la at Brown's.  Yes and I must not forget.  Breakfast tra-la-la at Kilgore's.  Local East arrives and Jack goes east to Wolcott.  "Apples" for Kent but I do not hesitate.  The old scene.  A long and serious chat with the old heads.  Homeward bound with C.M. on the first trip. 

Frances was divorced with a son, Donald. Sometime in the 1990’s I talked with Frances’ daughter-in-law, and she said that Frances worked at Malta and Donald went to school at the Malta school house.  She did not know the dates.   

Date: 12/01/22 16:55
Re: Mrs. Catherine Flynn August21, 1866 – December 31, 1932
Author: ns2557

In looking at who took the 2nd shot, the name sorta jumps out also. Hubert C Sweet. Wasn't he Con Sweets dad?  I know Con had family that worked the RR in Colorado way back when. Just wondering. Thanks for sharing these. Didn't know Glenwood Springs was once known as Defiance. Ben

Date: 12/01/22 17:10
Author: flynn

Yes, this is Con Sweet's dad, H.C.Sweet Sr.                                            c.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/22 17:11 by flynn.

Date: 12/02/22 13:42
Author: ParkSouth

Flynn,  Any relation to the Sweet family in the South Park in about 1900 and then Utah?  Tom Klinger

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds