Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > Penn Central Susquehanna River line?? GG1, Amtrak, Peach Bottom

Date: 05/22/23 11:02
Penn Central Susquehanna River line?? GG1, Amtrak, Peach Bottom
Author: KCRW287

A short film clip of what I believe is the PC running along the Susquehanna River, GG1 leading a train, meets another GG1 train, and shows Amtrak. It looks like the Peach Bottom Nuke plant at the start. It is not the best looking film work, but does show the PC GG1s in action.Any info and corrections welcome. Unknown photographer, my collection, KCRW287

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/22/23 11:13
Re: Penn Central Susquehanna River line?? GG1, Amtrak, Peach Bott
Author: timz

In the 1974 timetable the eastward train
was supposed to arrive Washington
hours before the westward left

http://timetables.org/full.php?group=19740519&item=0037

Don't recall how long they ran that way.

Date: 05/22/23 11:42
Author: bandob

The shorter Amtrak train may be the Broadway Limited, Washington Section. The longer train, I don't know. Perhaps a special excursion?

B&OBill

Date: 05/22/23 11:43
Author: CPMorris

EXCELLENT -  Photos and videos of Amtrak on the PC(ex-PRR) "Susquehanna River Line"
are extremely rare. Shown here is 440, eastbound Washington section of The Broadway Limited.

Broadway Washington sections  operated over this route from May, 1971 until November, 1975
when Amtrak re-routed 440/441 via 30th Street, Philadelphia.   THANK YOU for posting this - Wow!

BANDOB is probably right - the westbound "longer train" may be a special excursion. 
TIMZ is correct - westbound 441 was scheduled several hours later in the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/23 11:55 by CPMorris.

Date: 05/22/23 11:47
Author: KCRW287

Thanks for the info and interest in this clip, I might have more floating around on the computer, I will see what I can find. Thanks, KCRW287

Date: 05/22/23 14:11
Author: amtrakbill

definitly the short train was the Washington section of the Broadway Ltd.  ! baggage, 1 coach, 1 taveran, 1 sleeper and you can see the car number on the end of the last car 40 something....

The long train had to be a special excursion train.

Date: 05/22/23 18:37
Author: ns2557

Seeing how the longer train pulled into a siding there, then backed out onto main, I was looking at some more of the video and saw they passed a freight in a siding apparently, perhpas not long after getting back on main. Is it possible that this freight, with what looked like a GP30-GP9-GP30 set was what was ahead of it on siding and the DS let it run around the freight?  Curious minds wondering. Thanks, Ben

Date: 05/22/23 20:04
Author: RuleG

Great film of a line which was not filmed enough.

Yes, judging by the number of people sticking their heads out of the dutch doors, it must have been filmed on an excursion.

My first fan trip was over this same line in 1978 behind GG1 4935.  The excursion cars were all Amfleet and there were no dutch doors to open.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0987 seconds