Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Nostalgia & History > 12:01 am, sure had a good time at that dance.

Date: 05/22/23 11:06
12:01 am, sure had a good time at that dance.
Author: flynn

Page 651 Thursday, March 16th, 1922

Wtr Fine.  12:01 am.  Hunt and I busy gossiping about the agent.  Kn calls.  Still hustling around about the convict's "get away".  No. 3 right on it.  Guess I better hang the mail.  Some pros to write up.  Called Kn but did not get him.  A coal-passer at 6:15 am.  Spease on the job.  All well and done at 8:00 am.  Simpson and I take a short walk after breakfast then retired.  5:30 pm Call for dinner.  Spoofing Miss Josephine.  Decided to go to the show.  But hesitated at depot to see Hunt.  Spease watching engines.  20 mins late to the show "Silly Indeed".  The dance after the show.  I and the "large man" to the depot until the dance starts.  Back to the hall.  A swell time until 11:30 pm. 

Page 652 Friday, March 17th, 1922

Wtr cldy and snowing.  12:01 am sure had a good time at that dance.  Still looking for that convict.  Going to stop No. 1 for convict going to Idaho, I guess.  Gee, No. 16 sure was late last nite.  A letter on No. 4 for me.  Dance started to break up at 2:00 am.  The marshal wide awake but Simpson snoring.  No. 15 twenty minutes late.  Good luck with the mail.  8:00 am and work train crew called for 9:00 am.  To breakfast.  But had to return to depot and finish up my bills.  Simpson and I go down to visit the C&S road also the remains of the smelter.  "What a keen looking chicken".  Ha.  Retired 1:00 pm.  A party tonight.  Failed to hear of it.  11:00 pm A swell and sweet lunch. 

Page 653  Saturday, March 18th, 1922

12:01 am.  Wtr fierce.  Blowing and snowing.  No. 3 on time.  Nearly blown away when I went to hang mail.  Roberts very pleasant. The end of the party.  And results of the snow storm.  The young chap talking with Marshal about wireless or "radiophone".  A fierce morning for parcel post but did not have much.  Hauled it over in a little cart.  Biz picks up at 7:00 am.  Plenty of pros also.  Not quite finished at 8:00 am.  So retrd after Brfst until 11:00 am.  To hotel for a swim and retired.  A sweet snooze during the long and stormy day.  Called at 11:30 pm.  Out for another day.  A real lunch.  Down the road to work.  12:20 am. 

Page 654

1st message received at B.V.

Fm Oakland, Calif
D  No 1 ck 11 nL Collect
19th
J.M. Bonney      
Buena Vista Colo        

Please wire me ten
dollars immediately
letter will follow

Love

Babe

Pictures of Hanging Bridge

Picture 1.  Call Number: CHS.J2193.  Credit: Contact History Colorado for credit line to use with this item.  Title: Royal Gorge, the bridge.  Creator(s): Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942.  Summary: View of the hanging bridge in Royal Gorge (Fremont County), Colorado. Shows the Arkansas River and Denver and Rio Grande railroad tracks.  Date: [between 1881 and 1900?].  Physical Description: 1 negative : glass ; 26 x 18 cm. (10 x 7 in.). 

Picture 2, Call Number: Z-5494.  Credit: Denver Public Library.  Title: Hanging Bridge.  Creator: Emery, C. E. (Charles E.).  Date: [1880-1890?]. Summary: Well-dressed men, women and children pose near Hanging Bridge beside the Arkansas River in the Royal Gorge in Fremont County, Colorado. A Denver and Rio Grande Railroad excursion train is in the distance.  Format of Original Material: 1 photographic print ; 9 x 18 cm (3 1/2 x 7 in.) mounted on mat board.  Penciled on verso: "May be opening of hanging bridge." 

Picture 3, Call Number: GB-8342.  Credit: Denver Public Library.  Title: Chicago White Sox baseball team and special five car Pullman train westward bound on the Denver & Rio Grande main line through the Royal Gorge.  Creator: Beam, George L. (George Lytle), 1868-1935.  Date: 1910 February 27.  Summary: Men, women, children, and the Chicago White Sox pose by a Denver and Rio Grande passenger car and the Arkansas River at Hanging Bridge, in the Royal Gorge, Fremont County, Colorado. Baseball team owner Charles A. Comiskey wears a fedora hat.  Format of Original Material.  1 photonegative : glass ; 20 x 25 cm (8 x 10 in.); 1 photoprint ; 20 x 25 cm (8 x 10 in.).  Digital Version Created From Jackson Thode. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds