Author: WrongWayMurphy

First photo 1925

Second photo currently, the infamous triple underpass in the newer
photo is more or less where the long bridge over the Trinity River
enters downtown, in the older shot.

Dallas Union Terminal is behind the ball tower in the current photo, 
unchanged save for the canopies which disappeared in the 70's and
then rebuilt in the 90's

Third photo mine and is recent showing the new look canopies.

Date: 04/26/24 10:06
Re: Dallas - then and now about 100 years apart
Author: jgilmore

Great comparison Shane, so much has drastically changed in Big D over the years, including the railroads, but DUS might be the best example of what hasn't essentially changed. Lots to look at in these photos, thanks for posting...

JG

Date: 04/26/24 16:01
Author: 2-10-2

Thanks for the 1920s look at Dallas. My grandparents lived between Oak Lawn and Love Field in the 1950s and '60s after living further "out of town" out near Hudnall and later off Harry Hines past Bachmann Lake.
My grandfather was an excellent tour guide, taking me all over Dallas to show me railroad sights. He lived there since 1915 and delivered milk in town from his father's dairy, later owning a bricklaying company that built all over town. Grandma began working at Neiman Marcus at the end of WWII for the next 30-plus years. They later moved to my great-grandparent's home in Irving, about 400' south of the Rock Island tracks between Dallas and Ft Worth.
Lots of great Dallas memories.

Date: 04/26/24 19:07
Author: RetiredHogger

Neat pictures. It looks like the former Texas School Book Depository is visible in the second...on the left, just uphill from the "triple overpass".

If you've never been to the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, it's worth a visit.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds