Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Baldwins

Date: 10/19/04 20:11
SP Baldwins
Author: cewherry

These two SP Baldwin diesels, Model AS-616, were built in 1952. Here they idle between shifts at the hump in Taylor Yard, Los Angeles in 1964. These engines were equipped with dynamic brakes as evidenced by the screening on the short hoods. I was told by a switchman that the footbridge in the distance was used by then future actress Debbie Reynolds to bring lunches to her father, a carman working at Taylor.

Charlie

Date: 10/20/04 07:55
Re: SP Baldwins
Author: SteveD

Sisters got out on flat Basin branches sometimes, too. I have b&w snapshots of No. 5247 by Mel Olsen about 1955 and No. 5267 by Fred Schrock in summer of 1957, both at Santa Ana, neither of which trips would have made use of dynamics.

Date: 10/20/04 11:10
Author: africansteam

Another award winner, Charlie. And I seem to recall hearing the Debbie Reynolds story as well. As SteveD pointed out, the AS-616's were popular on locals. He noted that the 5267 was seen down in Santa Ana. It was a regular on the Van Nuys Branch as well . Great memories. Thanks!
Africansteam

Date: 10/20/04 20:34
Author: tracktime

Charlie,

That's one stunning photo. I can almost smell the clear morning air punctuated with the scent of oil and diesel!

Please feel free to share with us a few more. Thanks very much.

Best Regards,
Harry

Date: 10/20/04 21:12
Author: cewherry

tracktime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Charlie,
>
> That's one stunning photo. I can almost smell the
> clear morning air punctuated with the scent of oil
> and diesel!
>
> Please feel free to share with us a few more.
> Thanks very much.
>
> Best Regards,
> Harry

Actually this was taken in the afternoon as we are looking southward. I was the Fireman on them and I was able to get this shot before the Engineer and switchmen showed up for the first move of the shift. Thanks, I will have more.

Charlie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds