Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > More SP at Bayshore memories

Date: 01/09/05 21:09
More SP at Bayshore memories
Author: TonyJ

As we get older we sometimes forget how fast time passes us by. The other day I was talking to a buddy about SP's FM's based at Bayshore (San Francisco) and then realized it's already over thirty years ago. Nostalgia? You bet!

H-12-44 SP2369 rests after dark at Bayshore roundhouse on July 1, 1974 - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:11
Re: More SP at Bayshore memories

SP "Train Master" #3023 sits with other FMs at Bayshore on December 8, 1974 - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:13

Another night shot taken July 1, 1974. - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:14

H-24-66 SP3022 rests inside Bayshore Roundhouse on June 10, 1974. - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:17

A Third Trick SP switchman prepares for another move at the West End of Bayshore Yard onJune 23, 1975. - Tony J.

Date: 01/09/05 21:19

SD45 SP9017 sits next to the Bayshore Roundhouse on July 12, 1974. - Tony J.

Date: 01/10/05 01:22
Author: topper

TonyJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> A Third Trick SP switchman prepares for another
> move at the West End of Bayshore Yard onJune 23,
> 1975. - Tony J.

Looks like he's getting ready to throw the infamous Puzzle Switch.

Topper J.

Date: 01/10/05 06:43
Author: WAF

Uh, oh... Photo Bob better watch his back, Tony is into his B/W work now.

Date: 01/10/05 07:18
Author: spnudge

Burrr. The cold nights I worked 2nd trick Hostling out there in 69 and 70. The fog would cut right through you.

Good pics Tony.

Nudge

Date: 01/10/05 08:17

Nudge and Topper!
Yes, the switchman was headed for the puzzle switch. I remember an incident back in the early sixties involving three employees at the switch. Looking down from Bayshore Tower we watched 3 guys trying to figure out how to line the switch to cut over towards the main. They changed the points several times, argued, threw them again a few more times until they were satisfied they had it right. They must have had a lousy night's sleep.

That puzzle switch also reminds me of the local (I assume) signal the towerman used (before radios were regularly used) to tell a train to back up off the puzzle switch so another train could pass. The towerman first would sound the siren to get the crew's attention; then he'd hang his arms to the side like a scarecrow and waving them back and forth like a wigwag. I would have liked to see that illustrated in a rulebook.

Yes Nudge, it could get very cold there. From 1967 to 1972 I was working for the Big Red "S" (Safeway Stores) and for a year or so I worked the late shift at the old store on Monterrey Blvd. At lunch time I'd make the 10 minute drive to Bayshore at watch the action. The switchmen had 55 gallon drums with burning dunage to help keep them warm. It was always more fun watching them give signals with lanterns, too. - Tony Johnson

Date: 01/10/05 08:38

WAF Wrote:
> Uh, oh... Photo Bob better watch his back, Tony is
> into his B/W work now.

Bob doesn't need to worry. He takes quality photographs; I take snapshots. However, we both we there are the driving of the golden spike at Promontory in 1869. Bob made me carry the glass negatives. - Tony Johnson

Date: 01/10/05 09:13
Author: WAF

Good thing you take snapshoots, Tony, otherwise Bob might have to get a job at the bank with his wife.

Date: 01/10/05 09:28
Author: spnudge

The shanty at the top end where the puzzle (double crossover switch) was, had walls that told the tail of how cold. They were insulated with the flat, pint bottles, mty of course. Heard it was something when they tore it down. Then of course you went to coffee in the tap room at Lucky Lager, and........

Nudge

Date: 01/10/05 13:13
Author: pbrasky

Where exactly was the Bayshore facility? I visited SF in 12/68 and seem to remember some SP engines up near the Oakland-Bay Bridge, but as I was with my family, I couldn't explore further. My wife & I returned to SF this passed October and was completely bummed by the absence of RR (not trolley) activity along the Embarcadero. Your wonderful photos of Tiburon didn't help either: Had I known it was once a RR town, I'd have gotten off the ferry there instead of Sausalito (tourist trap). Keep up the good work! Paul

Date: 01/10/05 16:44

pbrasky Wrote:
> Where exactly was the Bayshore facility? I
> visited SF in 12/68 and seem to remember some SP
> engines up near the Oakland-Bay Bridge, but as I
> was with my family, I couldn't explore further.
> My wife & I returned to SF this passed October
> and was completely bummed by the absence of RR
> (not trolley) activity along the Embarcadero.
> Your wonderful photos of Tiburon didn't help
> either: Had I known it was once a RR town, I'd
> have gotten off the ferry there instead of
> Sausalito (tourist trap). Keep up the good work!
> Paul

Paul,
Bayshore is on the Bay side (southeast side) of San Francisco. In fact, part of Bayshore is in S.F. and part is in San Mateo County. If you're heading north on Hwy. 101, Candlestick Park (or 3 Com Park, or whatever it's called today) is east of Hwy. 101; Bayshore is west of 101 and you might be able to see the old shop building from 101. Old Hwy 101 (I guess it's Business 101) goes right past Bayshore. - Tony J.

Date: 01/11/05 06:48
Bayshore
Author: Phil

In looking at the recent Bayshore pics, it must have been one awesome place on the SP.

Phil

Date: 01/11/05 10:08
Re: Bayshore

Phil Wrote:
> In looking at the recent Bayshore pics, it must
> have been one awesome place on the SP.
>
> Phil

It truly was, but it was often overlooked because of the interest in the doubletrack commute line, Sacramento Shops, etc. I'm sure we Espee fans look at Bayshore like other fans across the country look at other long gone places. - Tony J.

Date: 08/21/15 15:00
Re: Bayshore
Author: dcfbalcoS1

That is correct about Tony being there at Promomtory. He showed me his Greyhound bus ticket and the driver had stamped it too. The driver was Don Bain. And the SP 9017 would be at least 41 years od now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds