Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Nostalgia & History > Third Rail railroading in Marin

Date: 03/25/05 09:13
Third Rail railroading in Marin
Author: stash

Southern Pacific's NWP subsidiary operated electric suburban trains out of Sausalito until 1941. Service operated to Mill Valley, San Anselmo, Manor, Greenbrae and San Rafael. This scene is near Fairfax. Today this is a public street and the concrete station platforms are visible every few blocks.

Date: 03/25/05 09:44
Re: Third Rail railroading in Marin
Author: cforssi

I used to live in this area in 1979. There was still most of the trackage in place back then but the trains no longer went past Greenbrae. I wonder what is left of the original trackage past Greenbrae today? There was also a trestle around Greenbrae that was scaresly used for freight. I remember an old wood observation car that was supposed to have been owned by some movie actor (I think it might have been Van Johnson) that used to set up on the tracks in Greenbrae but some guy eventually had it moved somewhere else. Does anybody know the whereabouts of this car? It was an old open platform observation car with wood sides.

Date: 03/25/05 11:32
Re: Third Rail railroading in Marin, Only One?
Author: spnudge

Only one shot????? More, More. You have spoiled us.

Nudge

Date: 03/25/05 12:07
Author: RD10747

Neato!!, John..thanks..

Date: 03/25/05 17:45
Author: stash

There will be more! Be patient.

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only one shot????? More, More. You have spoiled
> us.
>
>
> Nudge

Date: 03/25/05 18:35
Author: WP-M2051

Stash,

As always, nice shot. The street is Center Ave.; the paralleling roads in the picture "is" San Anselmo Ave.

JK

Date: 03/25/05 18:42
Author: WP-M2051

Dear CS,

The section of the NWP was de-electrified in 1941 and abandoned in 1942 - thank the forward looking SP Co. for helping the war effort. The San Rafael - Detour section of the old main line was operated until 1981 to serve Handikup Corp and was embargoed account imminent collapse of tunnel #3 at Cal Park hill, (SP/NWP saved SO much money lining their tunnels with timber!) The wooden business car was ex CB&Q and at one time owned by Sterling Hayden who stored it in Sausalito. It moved from Sausalito to Greenbrae in November '71 shortly before abandonment of the Sausalito branch and was worked on by Doug Morgan's company at Greenbrae. What happened later, I don't know - PLA at Richmond was marginally interested in the car in the late '70s but nothing came of it.

JK

Date: 03/25/05 19:37
Author: cforssi

Thanks for that bit of information. I met the man who purchased and moved the car by flatbed truck and I saw it move but I lost contact of the car after I moved south. The car was totally vandalized and ruined but the guy said he was going to restore it to its former glory. It was total wood and everything that could be smashed was. I hope it has been restored but I haven't a clue where it went. Anybody know anything more about this car?

Date: 03/18/14 00:52
Author: sliderslider

Stash I noticed this today and took picture. Miracle Mile, SR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds