Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Nostalgia & History > Gibbon Nebraska Junction with Marysville Sub

Date: 07/18/05 21:10
Gibbon Nebraska Junction with Marysville Sub
Author: danderson

Was there ever a connection from Grand Island to Marysville sub direct ...

it appears there may have been a wye at Gibbon junction Nebraska i saw a recent view from the air and it looks like one once existed?

these days i think the junction faces only west

Date: 07/19/05 06:58
Re: Gibbon Nebraska Junction with Marysville Sub
Author: kwo

Used to be a line from Grand Island south to Hastings I believe. I don't think it ever amounted to much more than a branch. Just east of the Grand Island exit on I-80 there is a bridge over the top of the old roadbed. Pulled out quite a few years ago but I don't remember exactly when, early 80's maybe?

Date: 07/19/05 09:01
Re: Gibbon Nebraska Junction with Marysville Sub
Author: cdub

I believe there is a wye at Gibbon, say if you want to run a train directly from Grand Island to Marysville. But I don't think the wye is used very much (it might even be mothballed, maybe still intact). Next time I'm through there I'll try to remember to look for it in the grass and weeds.

As KWO pointed out, there used to be a direct UP line between Hastings and Grand Island. Originally, this was first part of the UP Subsidiary's St. Joseph and Grand Island RR mainline between it's namesake cities. But in later years UP built the cut-off between Hastings and Gibbon, thus moving all of the through traffic on the Marysville line off the GI-Hastings line. When I get home, I could dig up my UP track charts and look this stuff up in more detail, especially in terms of years when these lines were built and abandoned, etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds