Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Canadian Railroads > CPR in Maine

Date: 07/18/12 21:34
CPR in Maine
Author: jbwest

In March 1967 I rode the Atlantic Limited from Montreal to St. John. A skyline car served as diner lounge. The consist was a mix of stainless steel and heavyweight cars. I remember a really good dinner in the skyline the night before. The next morning I woke up early, wandered into the dome, and snapped this picture. In reviewing the image the trainorder signal immediately caught my attention....ah the good old days of railroading by timetable and trainorder. I'm guessing this is either Vanceboro, Maine or perhaps McAdam, NB....can anyone identify to the location more definitely?

JBWX

Date: 07/19/12 04:42
Re: CPR in Maine
Author: ChooChooDennis

John

I would go with Vanceboro only because that is not McAdam. McAdam had a large, long two station that doubled as a station and as a crew hotel.

I only know that because of the great adventure I had in 1961 that involved an overnight stay there as a crew "member."

I can double check later.

Dennis

Date: 07/19/12 08:52
Author: ghCBNS

I would go with Mattawamkeag or Danforth, Maine. Wrong side of the track for Vanceboro and as Dennis said, MacAdam is a large station:

1 Looking back to Vanceboro from the rear of the Atlantic.
2 Looking forward into New Brunswick
3 McAdam Station

Date: 07/19/12 18:12
Author: cn6218

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm guessing this is
> either Vanceboro, Maine or perhaps McAdam,
> NB....can anyone identify to the location more
> definitely?

None of the above.

Neither Vanceboro or Mattawamkeag are curved at the station, and McAdam curves the other way, and has a huge building. Danforth is straight through as well.

It might be Fredericton Jct. The building there is small, low, and on the north side of the track. The curve is also right, although I'm not sure about the tracks on the south side. I don't recognize that long building in the background though, although I was never through there in the '60s or '70s.

GTD

Date: 07/19/12 18:45
Author: eminence_grise

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jbwest Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I'm guessing this is
> > either Vanceboro, Maine or perhaps McAdam,
>
> It might be Fredericton Jct. The building there
> is small, low, and on the north side of the track.
> The curve is also right, although I'm not sure
> about the tracks on the south side. I don't
> recognize that long building in the background
> though, although I was never through there in the
> '60s or '70s.
>
> GTD

Fredricton Junction station

Date: 07/19/12 20:17
Author: jbwest

I'm going to go with Fredericton Junction. The buildings seem to match, and the lighting looks about right for February or March (the slide is date stamped March, but I did not always promptly get film processed....I was a poor college studenta0. Scheduled time for Fredricton jct. was 8:40 a.m.

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds