Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Canadian Railroads > New Kamloops hotel with view of railway tracks

Date: 03/04/13 20:37
New Kamloops hotel with view of railway tracks
Author: eminence_grise

The Sandman Signature Hotel is nearing completion on Lorne Street in Kamloops BC. The rear of the hotel faces the CP main just west of the station and yard in Kamloops. The front of the hotel faces Riverside Park and the Thompson River.

Sandman Hotels were started by a long time Kamloops politician, Phil Gagliardi and his nephew Tom, still owns the BC and Alberta hotel chain. He also owns the WHL (Western Hockey League) Kamloops Blazers. The hockey arena is just across the street from the hotel.

The older Sandman hotels from the 1960's are mixed in quality, but the Sandman Signature's are all newly built and seem of a higher standard.

This one is expected to open in the Fall of this year. Sandman uses their own construction company to build the hotels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 19:19 by eminence_grise.

Date: 03/04/13 21:27
Re: New Kamloops hotel with view of railway tracks
Author: DPKrause

Hopefully the one in Revelstoke gets freshenned up soon. It was a little rough the last time I had to camp there.

Date: 03/04/13 21:38

DPKrause Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully the one in Revelstoke gets freshenned up
> soon. It was a little rough the last time I had to
> camp there.

A quick search of "Tripadvisor" reviews confirms what I have found out in my travels around the area. Some Sandman's have been well looked after, and others have not done so well. I think it all comes down to who manages the property, and how much competition the hotels have in the area. Kamloops has many of the international chains of hotels up on the freeway above town, plus some effective downtown competition.

Date: 03/04/13 22:36
Author: rschonfelder

Could this be a future "AltaMont" location? After all, it has lots of rooms with a view. Not quite the Isaak Walton but it is something different even if it isn't in Montana.

Rick

Date: 03/04/13 23:20
Author: jp1822

I think it will become the hotel of choice for Rocky Mountaineer railroad passengers overnighting in Kamploops. I had thought Rocky Mountaineer was going to build its own hotel facility in Kamloops a few years ago, but I don't think that came to be. I believe overnight passengers are still spread throughout town hotels - if anyone can confirm. I know the hotel that RMR put us up in (Gold Leaf) was more to be desired........

Date: 03/05/13 05:06

jp1822 Wrote:
> I think it will become the hotel of choice for
> Rocky Mountaineer railroad passengers overnighting
> in Kamploops. I had thought Rocky Mountaineer was
> going to build its own hotel facility in Kamloops
> a few years ago, but I don't think that came to
> be. I believe overnight passengers are still
> spread throughout town hotels - if anyone can
> confirm. I know the hotel that RMR put us up in
> (Gold Leaf) was more to be desired........

Kamloops has a wide range of accommodations, from "mom and pops" to all the best known chains. This year, there is a new Marriott being built on the Coquihalla freeway, and a Coast Hotel on the same highway has just finished a multi-million dollar upgrade.

Downtown, the former Canadian Inn is being completely rebuilt as a Doubletree, and the Hotel 540 is getting a new pool and rooftop sundeck.

Rocky Mountaineer is part owner of the Hotel 540 and has helped finance a major upgrade of that hotel.

For decades, Kamloops has been a stopover place for highway travellers heading to and from Jasper and Banff. The Royal Inland Hospital and the BC Provincial Courthouse in Kamloops serve a vast area of the Province and over the last decade, Thompson Rivers University has grown from a community college to a degree granting institution, most recently with a law faculty. Partly because of the University and partly as a community initiative, the city has some of the best sports facilities in the Province. Baseball, soccer, hockey and curling, gymnastic and swimming championships are held here.

Even with all the new rooms available, certain summer weekends are already sold out in Kamloops.

Rocky Mountain Vacations has worked very hard to secure better quality rooms for its guests in Kamloops.

Will Rocky choose the new Sandman? Time will tell.

Date: 03/05/13 05:17
Author: TCnR

Is this photo taken from a public bridge or walkway? Interesting to see the final build out, looks like potential for a parking structure next to the tracks, or a pool.

Kamloops always seemed like a nice place. Certainly not a very well known place though.

Date: 03/05/13 05:30

TCnR Wrote:
> Is this photo taken from a public bridge or
> walkway? Interesting to see the final build out,
> looks like potential for a parking structure next
> to the tracks, or a pool.

It is taken from a public footbridge.

Date: 03/05/13 07:11
Author: 251F

Is this a quiet zone on the CPR? I spot a grade crossing in the background.

If it isn't quiet, I'll bet it will be soon.

daniel

Date: 03/05/13 10:43
Author: railcity

How many Rooms are at this New Hotel?

Date: 03/05/13 16:29
Author: nomosantafe

eminence_grise Wrote:
> The Sandman Signature Hotel is nearing completion
> on Lorne Street in Kamloops BC. The rear of the
> hotel faces the CP main just west of the station
> and yard in Kamloops. The front of the hotel faces
> Riverside Park and the Thompson River.
>
> Sandman Hotels were started by a long time
> Kamloops politician, Phil Gagliardi and his nephew
> Tom, still owns the BC and Alberta hotel chain. He
> also owns the WHL (Western Hockey League) Kamloops
> Blazers. The hockey arena is just across the
> street from the hotel.
>

Tom is also the owner of the NHL Dallas Stars

Nomosantafe
A foamer & a hockey fan in
Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West Begins"

Date: 03/05/13 19:58

251F Wrote:
> Is this a quiet zone on the CPR? I spot a grade
> crossing in the background.
>
> If it isn't quiet, I'll bet it will be soon.
>
> daniel

Has been a no bell and whistle zone for decades.

Date: 03/05/13 20:01

railcity Wrote:
> How many Rooms are at this New Hotel?

181 rooms. "Sharks" nightclub and a restaurant on property. Indoor pool and waterslide.

Underground parking for hotel guests.

Date: 03/07/13 14:52
Author: goneon66

the c.p.'s main is in the rear and i can just walk across the street to see a blazer's ice hockey game???

outstanding, i have just found my new dream vacation destination and the wife is o.k. with it..........

Date: 03/07/13 15:22
Author: ghCBNS

Let’s hope that pile of earth is not reshaped into a sound-berm as part of the final landscaping. Or worse......one of those pre-cast tilt-up walls erected you now see bordering residential subdivisions along highways.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0794 seconds