Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Canadian Railroads > Long term Parking in Vancouver

Date: 03/04/13 10:08
Long term Parking in Vancouver
Author: Winnemucca

In planning for our late May trip on The Canadian I am pondering how we should get to Vancouver from California. We will be either flying or driving (no Amtrak - my wife says a round trip Vancouver/Toronto is all the train riding she wants to do on this trip).

We would like to avoid the cost of lodging in Vancouver so we will either fly on the same day (with generous time for the connection) or we will drive from California (esp if the sequester makes flying unreliable).

My question is this: VIA's website says there is no long-term parking near the Vancouver station. How can we do this? Can someone recommend a parking garage that is secure and resonably priced for two weeks of parking with good transportation to the station? Has anyone done this and found a good solution?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 03/04/13 10:43
Re: Long term Parking in Vancouver
Author: hoggerdoug

Some of the larger hotels in Vancouver and particularly out by the airport will let you leave your car for 7 days or more if you spend at least one night at the hotel. If you park longer than what they allow free, the daily charge is reasonable. Doug

Date: 03/04/13 11:46
Author: dendavis

Depending on your definition of "near the Vancouver train station," the cruise terminal has a huge parking garage that many folks going on Alaska cruises utilize. Cannot say what the prece is, and it is a "healthy" walk to the train station, although there are taxis available at the adjacent Pan Pacific Hotel, which is also on the Cruise Terminal pier.

Date: 03/04/13 13:33
Author: tsokolan

Fly in and take transit to the station. You can get to downtown from the airport on the Skytrain, and it saves finding and paying for long term parking. Or if you are going to drive, maybe park at the airport and take transit to downtown. Last fall my wife and I took the Canadian from Edmonton to Vancouver, then flew back.
-Trevpr

Date: 03/04/13 19:57
Author: bcr4601

John as mentioned I would if your going to drive up park at one of the airport long term lots and take the Canada Line skytrain to downtown then transfer to the Expo Line at Granville station

http://www.translink.ca/

This way your car is at the airport if your flying back into Vancouver then a drive back across the border.Also maybe check AMTK and catch the AM train into Vancouver from Bellingham leaving your car at Amtracks Bellingham parking lot but then on your rtn you would have to spend the night in Vancouver and catch the early AM SB train.

Dale Miller
Langley, BC

Date: 03/05/13 07:31
Author: ghCBNS

If I’m looking for long-term car parking in any city I usually just leave it at the Airport. You might pay a bit more, but you know it’s secure. I find parking garages downtown near train stations are usually for a short day or overnight stay....not long-term.

And parking at YVR is especially convenient with the SkyTrain to downtown and a quick connection to Pacific Central Station (stop is just across the street)

Date: 03/05/13 08:17
Author: BlaineM

Last year thinking of flying to Vancouver from Salt Lake but to expensive. We flew to Seattle took Quick Shuttle from SEA-TAC was dropped of in front of VIAs Pacific Station. A great trip to Toronto. Flew back to SLC. The following month we flew to Winnipeg took VIA to Vancouver then Quick Shuttle to SEA-TAC and back to SLC.
Very nice buses and drivers very reasonable also I think 54.00 each. Quick Shuttle has a web site with schedules and fares.
Good luck.
Blaine
American Fork Utah

Date: 03/05/13 22:13
Author: nonamemal

I've had good luck flying into VCR and renting a Hertz car. There's a Hertz desk at the station and you can drop it off at no extra charge. You can do the reverse when you return.

Date: 03/06/13 22:38
Author: Tomas

There is tons of parking around Vancouver. There is a huge parking garage by the downtown train station (by the riverfront). In West Vancouver there is a lot of residential homes and you could probably park on the streets for a week or longer. I don't think you will have much trouble finding parking. It is downtown after all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0841 seconds