Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP dispatchers facing replacement?

Date: 09/02/14 23:35
CP dispatchers facing replacement?
Author: fbe

Something about EHH abolishing all the jobs with DME guys standing at the door?

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 09/03/14 01:34
Re: CP dispatchers facing replacement?
Author: rschonfelder

Come on ... a little bit more information than this is required. Your comment is merely propagating a rumour, perhaps even starting one.

Rick

Date: 09/03/14 03:42
Author: SOO6617

Word is that four Dispatching Desks were eliminated at CP's US network management center in Minneapolis. The Delaware and Hudson RR went from two desks to one, leaving three desks to be eliminated elsewhere. It is possible that the River Dispatcher could get Portage to St. Paul and Portage to Chicago being another as virtually all of this territory is CTC. That would leave two desks to be eliminated on the DM&E/IC&E. That territory has a lower train count. Also many Dispatchers from the DM&E didn't accept the transfer from Sioux Falls so the new hires that replaced them would have the lowest seniority.

Date: 09/03/14 07:45
Author: fbe

Something happened in Minneapolis Tuesday night about shutting down some of the working desks on the US side and combining territories. The ATDA union said not without 60 days formal notice and certain protections in place first. Apparently the CP backed down at the last minute. The DME dispatchers are non union so some of their jobs may have been combined into larger territories.

Can anyone add more to this?

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/14 07:50 by fbe.

Date: 09/03/14 07:58
Author: BN_FAN

Interestingly, CP was looking for 20 Calgary-based Rail Traffic Controllers/Dispatchers a few months ago:

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/15418497

Doug Stark

Date: 09/03/14 15:24
Author: march_hare

Just got word that the single dispatcher for the D&H was implemented 0800 this morning. That's a big hunk of RR for one person, we'll see how it goes.

Date: 09/03/14 15:36
Author: Lackawanna484

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got word that the single dispatcher for the
> D&H was implemented 0800 this morning. That's a
> big hunk of RR for one person, we'll see how it
> goes.

That includes much of the Amtrak Adirondack route. Does it also include the Port of Albany and the oil/ethanol terminal? That can be a very busy place

Date: 09/03/14 18:21

Would include the Colonie main down to CPO 1 which is the north end of yard trackage in the I787 Concrete canyon.

As for the Adirondack, that's already all on the north end dispatcher, from Rouses Point down to Schenectady (CSX/Metro North from there to NY). South end D&H dspr boundary was at the south end of the Delanson siding, 14 miles from Schenectady.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/14 06:49 by march_hare.

Date: 09/04/14 11:50
Author: 4489

All of the Montreal based RTC's were removed earlier this year.

Date: 09/04/14 11:55

march_hare Wrote:
> Would include the Colonie main down to CPO 1 which
> is the north end of yard trackage in the I787
> Concrete canyon.
>
>
> As for the Adirondack, that's already all on the
> north end dispatcher, from Rouses Point down to
> Schenectady (CSX/Metro North from there to NY).
> South end D&H dspr boundary was at the south end
> of the Delanson siding, 14 miles from Schenectady.

thanks for that explanation.

sounds like the Adirondack will be in a pond that has a lot more fish now.

Date: 09/05/14 09:02

Interesting observation this morning. Despite the reports, my scanner keeps getting hits from the "D&H South End Deispatcher." So it looks like this has not been implemented yet.

Date: 09/05/14 13:59

march_hare Wrote:
> Interesting observation this morning. Despite the
> reports, my scanner keeps getting hits from the
> "D&H South End Deispatcher." So it looks like
> this has not been implemented yet.

I wonder when the NS will take over that desk? Didn't they buy the D&H from Sunbury to Mechanicville?

Date: 09/05/14 22:05

Lackawanna484 Wrote:

> I wonder when the NS will take over that desk?
> Didn't they buy the D&H from Sunbury to
> Mechanicville?

No, they did not purchase the line, although the rumor keeps popping up that they will.

Date: 09/06/14 07:22

SOO6617 Wrote:
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I wonder when the NS will take over that desk?
> > Didn't they buy the D&H from Sunbury to
> > Mechanicville?
>
> No, they did not purchase the line, although the
> rumor keeps popping up that they will.

OK.

I thought that the Sunbury to Binghamton stretch was part of the PanAm Southern - Mechanicville etc series of transactions. NS put a fair amount of money into that project

Date: 09/07/14 20:24
Author: centerbeam

I heard on the radio the other night that the Portal Dispatcher desk was now in charge of the Detroit Lakes Sub. Alot of rumors swirling right now about St Paul.

Date: 09/08/14 15:03
Author: displacedneb

CP cannot move the train dispatchers out of the US. This is covered under a Federal Law passed several years ago.

Date: 09/14/14 18:24
Author: eminence_grise

Dispatching trains in the US from Canada, and vice-versa so far hasn't taken place.

The US Government wants dispatchers responsible for train operation based in the US for reasons of responsibility and drug testing.
CP seriously contemplated it, however in the end it was nixed by the Federal Regulators on both sides of the Border.

There is a current dilemma regarding the Lac Megantic court case, as the shop foreman and one of the dispatchers is located at Bangor,ME.

The US NTSB participated in the Canadian TSB enquiry, and their findings are part of the official report, however there has been no evidence that Canada will ask for testimony from any US MM&A employees in the Superior Court trial to take place at Lac Megantic.

Date: 09/14/14 23:11

The former DM&E/IC&E is down to two desks from the previous four. The Missouri Desk controls the mainline from Elgin, IL to Kansas City, MO. The Iowa Desk now controls the remainder of the DM&E.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0755 seconds