Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Canadian Railroads > Three CN's from 1987 trip

Date: 08/30/15 07:25
Three CN's from 1987 trip
Author: bobdavis

CN also provided some nice photo subjects on my 1987 Western Canada trip.  Here are three of them - first, westbound manifest 217 along the west shore of Kamloops Lake near Savona, B. C. (Darren, you probably know the exact name of the spot) on May 14th.  Thirty-one multi-level auto racks were among the 79 cars.  Second shot is of westbound 98-car coal train 791 crossing the bridge at Lytton on May 15th, and finally, hotshot 218 east of Boston Bar on the 16th with two SD50F's bracketing an older SD40 on an impressive 93-car train that except for five boxcars, was all TOFC/COFC.

It was a week I'll never forget - well worth the long trip from eastern Pennsylvania, where I lived at the time.

Bob (retired Penn Central/Conrail railroader)  
Thayne, WY

Date: 08/30/15 12:47
Re: Three CN's from 1987 trip
Author: zartok-35

Hot damn! I love that Imperial Roadways Puptainer in shot 3! And all the rest of the trailers for that matter. I really miss thoes good ol' SD50Fs. Thanks allot for sharing the CN back in the golden age.

Date: 08/30/15 17:48
Author: sarailfan

Excellent shots again! That first shot is the west end of CN's siding at Savona. The siding has since been extended west under the TransCanada Highway (which is right behind you in this shot). You can see the currents in the water, as this is where the Thompson River exits Kamloops Lake on the way to the Fraser at Lytton.

Man, I gotta get back to the canyon one of these days! Thanks for sharing.

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 08/30/15 20:10
Author: cpn456

sarailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent shots again! That first shot is the west
> end of CN's siding at Savona. The siding has since
> been extended west under the TransCanada Highway
> (which is right behind you in this shot). You can
> see the currents in the water, as this is where
> the Thompson River exits Kamloops Lake on the way
> to the Fraser at Lytton.
>
> Man, I gotta get back to the canyon one of these
> days! Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, it's not nearly as good as it used to be...  Man, look at those nice, clean locomotives.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0766 seconds