Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Canadian Railroads > So I have a layover in Vancouver....

Date: 02/04/16 17:54
So I have a layover in Vancouver....
Author: march_hare

Arrangements are all made, so I'll be coming up from Seattle on the morning Cascades train, departing that evening on the eastbound Canadian for Vancouver. I haven't been in Vancouver since the 1980s, prior to Skytrain, West Coast Express and all that. 

Any suggestions on where to go and shoot trains/transit subjects for a few hours?  Looks like I'll get in too late to see any commuter trains running in the morning. Any suggestions for the afternoon?

The trip is in early March, so I doubt I'll have to worry about sun angles too much....

I plan on taking some time for a nice meal in Chinatown in the afternoon, but otherwise have the entire day to putz around. All suggestions welcome. 

Date: 02/04/16 18:18
Re: So I have a layover in Vancouver....
Author: Lackawanna484

The ferry is always a good choice. And an opportunity to see the CP Waterfront Station.

Ride the skytrain out to the CN Via station.

Go out to the Granville island market.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/04/16 18:41
Author: march_hare

The CP waterfront station is the one that WC Express uses, correct?

Do the commuter trains lay over there during the day, or is there a layover yard nearby?

Date: 02/04/16 19:07
Author: 4489

Please don't forget your passport or else it could be a very short trip!

Date: 02/04/16 19:31
Author: Train611

HI...

If you have the time:
You will arrive at the same station you will leave from. May be a train in the station. Buy a DAY Skytrain Pass.

1. Walk over to Skytrain and go to Waterfront Station. Once you walk out side you will be in the iconic CP Station Building.
walk to the northeastern corner outside and you will be able to take photos of the WCExpress trains in the yard, plus container cranes on the waterfront
2. Back on Skytrain and head to New Westminster. Get off at station near the hospital BNSF yard and main right there,. maybe some action. Another station to the west will get you right downtown New Westminster. Walk 2 blocks to waterfront, may be some CN or Southern Rail traffic in the yard. Take Skytrain across bridge over the Fraser...neat photo op of two other bridges.
3. Have a beer at one of the neat restaurants or pubs in New West.
4. Back on skytrain to head to Pacific Station. Get off go to wait for Via departure...have another beer!

Enjoy your trip!

Date: 02/05/16 18:02
Author: viatrainrider

With your Skytrain all day pass you can go to end of line--Waterfront, I believe and take Sea Bus across the water to N Vancouver. The mall to the right of the arrival point has many eateries including a place with a great soup bar for a lunch.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/05/16 18:02
Author: viatrainrider

With your Skytrain all day pass you can go to end of line--Waterfront, I believe and take Sea Bus across the water to N Vancouver. The mall to the right of the arrival point has many eateries including a place with a great soup bar for a lunch.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/07/16 20:40
Author: mundo

Sea Bus is a ferry, not a bus ride. Enjoy the Ferry.

Date: 02/08/16 23:20
Author: railsmith

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sea Bus is a ferry, not a bus ride. Enjoy the
> Ferry.

No one said it was a bus. So what's your point?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds