Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Canadian Railroads > Trip planning Ontario to Kamloops

Date: 08/24/16 19:07
Trip planning Ontario to Kamloops
Author: WOPRJim

I would like help with information on rail line traffic and good photo locations for a mid-week trip, towards the end of September, from the Fort Francis and Kenora, Ontario area westward to the Kamloops, British Columbia area. We'll be coming home by SUV from Ironwood, Michigan. We've been to the Vancouver, BC area and up the Fraser River past Hope, BC before. We've never been across the prairies.
Which of the Rocky Mountain passes has the most traffic -  Jasper, Banff or Crowsnest?
How does CN use the two lines between Portage la Prairie and Edmonton?
Would you recommend Hwy 1 or Hwy 16 West of Winnipeg?
Any helpful information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Date: 08/25/16 09:27
Re: Trip planning Ontario to Kamloops
Author: toledopatch

WOPRJim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which of the Rocky Mountain passes has the most
> traffic -  Jasper, Banff or Crowsnest?

I visited both Banff/Golden and Jasper some years ago. I got the impression that the traffic is roughly equal, but the CP line over Kicking Horse Pass is much more accessible for dramatic photos. Crowsnest, which I didn't visit, easily falls to third in terms of train activity.

I would note that while Kicking Horse has many good photo spots, Rogers Pass to the west is the opposite -- mostly inaccessible.

Date: 08/25/16 10:47
Author: DJ-12

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOPRJim Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Which of the Rocky Mountain passes has the most
> > traffic -  Jasper, Banff or Crowsnest?
>
> I visited both Banff/Golden and Jasper some years
> ago. I got the impression that the traffic is
> roughly equal, but the CP line over Kicking Horse
> Pass is much more accessible for dramatic photos.
> Crowsnest, which I didn't visit, easily falls to
> third in terms of train activity.
>
> I would note that while Kicking Horse has many
> good photo spots, Rogers Pass to the west is the
> opposite -- mostly inaccessible.
>  

I would gree with T-Patch. CN and CP traffic are roughly equal via Jasper and Bannf. The CN route is the lowest crossing and least rugged/dramatic, but also very accessible over Yellowhead Pass. The CP route over Kicking Horse is somewhat less accessible, especially around the Spiral Tunnels themselves unless you are willing to hike, but other parts of the pass are very accesible. I have never been to Crownest, but my sense is it is a distant 3rd.

Date: 08/25/16 17:17
Author: rschonfelder

The Crow will indeed be a distant 3rd in volume but worthy of a visit for the scenery should you have the time. 

I personally am partial to the CP route for its beauty and history.  The latter is only of interest to someone who is aware of the background.  If you can, I would recomend doing a circuitous route; (assuming you're coming from Vancouver) up to Jasper, down the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise/Banff then back to Golden and down the Rocky Mountain Trench to Cranbrook and head back to where you came from by the Crow.

Hope this helps.
Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds