Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Canadian Railroads > on this day, a day early

Date: 08/24/16 16:46
on this day, a day early
Author: hoggerdoug

Other obligations tomorrow, so the August 25 edition of "on this day" is a day early.  Hopefully nobody minds.
August 25, 2006, another trip southward on the RMR Fraser Discovery from Williams Lake BC to Lillooet on the former BC Rail.
01 Approach signal governing the "dual control switch" at the north end of Moran siding. What the signal governs is the locally controlled switch into the siding. When the caboose was eliminated, BC Rail decided to install locally controlled electric switches on some of the sidings on heavy grades, eliminated trains having to stop and "restore" switches on either end of a siding. A train entering or leaving a siding, once  clear of the switch, it would restore to the normal position automatically. This saved from an approaching train to stop and line the older manual track switches.
02 our train along Moran siding
03 Meet with a northbound work train.

Date: 08/24/16 16:49
Re: on this day, a day early

04  8013 at Lillooet and our crew change
05 8018, me thinks it is an ex Penn Central unit that I may have seen years earlier on the Penn Central
06 the train at Lillooet

Date: 08/24/16 16:51

07 "off into the sunset" heading to Whistler, it was a toasty warm afternoon in Lillooet.
thanks for looking,  Doug

Date: 08/24/16 20:00
Author: railsmith

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 05 8018, me thinks it is an ex Penn Central unit
> that I may have seen years earlier on the Penn
> Central

RMRX 8018 began life as Penn Central 3133 and then went on to Conrail, MKT, UP and National Rail Equipment.

Date: 08/25/16 05:44
Author: mopacrr

What does the "R" mean on the signal mast?

Date: 08/25/16 09:13

The R means it is a restricting signal, can pass the red signal and proceed at "restricted speed" prepared to stop short of equipment, broken rails, improperly lined switches etc etc. I'm sure there are better explanations, but that's what I remember from 10 years ago.  It's all long ago!!!  Doug

Date: 08/25/16 19:39
Author: sarailfan

mopacrr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does the "R" mean on the signal mast?

The GCOR equivalent would be a G signal. Avoids stopping at a restricting signal, particularly on heavy grades, though CN and CP tend to use them on all intermediate signals.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.235 seconds