Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA RDC's

Date: 03/13/18 07:07
VIA RDC's
Author: Thumper

A friend has inquired:

Where did VIA (the Canadian railway passenger service) operate RDC 1 and RDC 2 series vehicles?
He is specifically interested in dates of operation and too when said RDC's were first lettered and painted in VIA corporate livery.

Date: 03/13/18 21:40
Re: VIA RDC's
Author: cvrrr

All of VIA's RDC's were taken into inventory from the CPR and the CNR in 1978. Due to the large number of cars it took a while to get them all painted. Slide number 1 shows the first RDC to be in VIA colours on Vancouver Island on the E&N. Prior to this all the dayliners (as they were know on the CPR) were CP's. I believe that the time frame was in 1979 and the I know that I took the picture at tunnel hill on the Victoria SUB which is about mile post 15. The second slide taken of RDC 6125 which was a RDC-1 at Ladysmith station on the Victoria sub at mile post 58.4. I not know the number of the RDC in the first slide nor do I know the number of the second RDC in the second slide. 8502 was a GP-9 built by GM 1954-55. Hope this helps CVRRR

Date: 03/14/18 02:07
Author: ghCBNS

Originally CN’s Railiners were painted in the new “VIA-CN” colour scheme in ’76 & ’77 and carried a small CN Logo.... but by ’78 VIA Rail Canada Inc had been formed and the “CN” was being removed.

1) The Railiner from Sydney has just arrived at Truro, NS where passengers will make a connection to the Ocean for Montreal in May 1977.
2) Westbound Railiner from Sydney at Stellarton, NS in July 1978

Date: 03/14/18 12:52
Author: Thumper

Have passed the two replies on to my friend.
Thank You.

Date: 03/14/18 20:06
Author: BigSkyBlue

What's the gizmo above the headlight on 6107? A siren? BSB

Date: 03/15/18 13:46
Author: cvrrr

it is a gyrate light. cvrrr

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds