Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Canadian Railroads > 120 in the Sun

Date: 11/21/18 17:13
120 in the Sun
Author: cn6218

Unlike the west coast (see post below), we haven't exactly had outstanding weather this fall in Nova Scotia.  This is the first year in a while that I haven't taken some sort of fall railfan vacation, and I can't say that I feel like I missed anything.  It's usually a time we can count on for good weather and fall foliage, but the leaves were mostly pummelled by high winds and rain this year.

Anyway, last Sunday was a nice day, with some snow remaining from Friday's mini blizzard at the higher elevations.  I waited until almost noon at Bedford Quarry (mile 12.75, Bedford Sub) for 120 to appear.  The relatively short train had yet another GEVO up front, but two SD75Is were sandwiched in the middle before the trailing Dash-9.  There was no DPU this time.

I did get a followup shot at Birch Cove (mile 7) 14 minutes later, after the train entered the Halifax Transfer Track at Millview.  This train featured several new CN 53 ft. containers in the intermodal block.  It's neat to see the image of an F-unit representing rail traffic, even in 2018.

GTD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/18 18:13 by cn6218.

Date: 11/22/18 06:38
Re: 120 in the Sun
Author: ghCBNS

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .................................. This train
> featured several new CN 53 ft. containers in the
> intermodal block.  It's neat to see the image of
> an F-unit representing rail traffic, even in
> 2018.
>
> GTD

Thanks for this

Been seeing a lot of those new containers passing thru on the '104 heading towards Cape Breton and Newfoundland with CN Tractors in a locomotive-like paint scheme. (I’ll try to grab a picture)

Date: 11/23/18 14:57
Author: superchief1944

I will be in Halifax next May at the start of a 2-week trip that my wife and I are taking in the Maritime Provinces. Is that location in Birch Cove readily accessible/easy to locate for "a foreigner"?
If you have other recommendations for good locations, I'd be grateful to have them. Thanks.

Date: 11/23/18 18:51
Author: mcdeo

I thought I saw where 60' containers in CN/CP area was going to be tried with the tire company in the photo. Wondering where they are going to load them. Or are some new 60' wells being ordered? 

And I thought 57' was the next threshold. Guess not. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 11/24/18 11:13
Author: cn6218

superchief1944 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>. Is that location in Birch Cove
> readily accessible/easy to locate for "a
> foreigner"?
> If you have other recommendations for good
> locations, I'd be grateful to have them. 

Very easy to find, safe and legal.  On the Dale Sanders Degree of Difficulty Scale (where 1 is: drive to location, roll down window of Suburban, take shot) it would rank very low. :-)

If you have a GPS, it is opposite civic number 358 on the Bedford Hwy., in Halifax.  You can't park on the street right there, but there are some side streets.  The Chinatown parking lot is posted "No Parking", but people have been parking there for decades to go fishing, and I've never heard of a problem.  If you park on Birch Cove Lane (other side of the highway), you have to cross three lanes of traffic to get to the photo spot, but with a little patience, you should get a break.  The Bedford Highway isn't what we usually think of as a "highway" these days, just 3 lanes and a 60 km/h (37 mph) speed limit.

The ideal lighting happens about noon during Daylight Savings Time (or 11:00 these days).  120 could be there any time between 09:00 and 13:00 though.  Figuring out when will be the challenge.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds