Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Rail Black Friday Promotion - Through Monday

Date: 11/24/18 17:20
VIA Rail Black Friday Promotion - Through Monday
Author: Jimbo

40 percent off through Monday on Sleeper Plus fares.  Just realized today that this is going on.  There are other reductions too.  As usual, some restrictions apply.  Good for trips until the end of April.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/black-friday 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/18 20:13 by Jimbo.

Date: 11/25/18 06:10
Re: VIA Rail Black Friday Promotion - Through Monday
Author: stuporchief

Does anyone recall when a discount as deep as 40% was last offered for The Canadian?

Date: 11/25/18 17:32
Author: viatrainrider

I believe there have been discounts of at least 40% in the past.  And there are 50 % discounts for VIA Preference members at the Privilege level or Premier.

Date: 11/25/18 19:04

There have actually been discounts as deep as 75%. But what I am asking is if anyone knows when the most recent deep discount (like, 40%) was offered. I don't think one was available last year?

Date: 11/25/18 19:30
Author: DrawingroomA

viatrainrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe there have been discounts of at least
> 40% in the past.  And there are 50 % discounts
> for VIA Preference members at the Privilege level
> or Premier.

The Preference coupons offer 50% off the full fare. In the past two years VIA has considered the full seasonal fare, although before that they took the 50% off the full summer fare even in winter.

The "VIA40" discount is 40% off the best available sleeper fare. "Discounted" sleepers are easy to get in the winter.

There isn't much difference, though. I checked fares between Toronto and Vancouver (not including sales tax which varies). A cabin for 1 costs $957 (half the full fare) with the Preference 50% coupon and $973 with the "VIA40" 40% discount (half the Discounted fare.) There is no cancellation penalty with tickets purchased with the 50% Preference coupon because they are based on the full fare.

Date: 11/26/18 04:41

Thanks for the information. What is the "Preference" coupon?

Date: 11/26/18 06:06
Author: ghCBNS

stuporchief Wrote:
> Thanks for the information. What is the
> "Preference" coupon?

It's a coupon you get each year depending on your status in VIA's 'Frequent Flyer Program'

Date: 11/26/18 06:46
Author: andersonb109

I just spoke to an excellent VIA agent. (Amtrak take note).  While it is not possible to upgrade to a Cabin for 2 from an existing reservation, Toronto to Winnipeg,  made with Preference points, the agent informed me I could receive the 40% discount on my paid Cabin for 2 from Winnipeg to Vancouver. She simply canceled the existing reservation inc. a $100 penalty and re-booked. I even got the same larger Bedroom F. Total savings was about $488 USD. 

Date: 11/26/18 20:59
Author: DrawingroomA

andersonb109 Wrote:

> ...  While it is not possible to upgrade
>  to a  Cabin for 2 from an existing reservation,
> Toronto to Winnipeg,  made with Preference
> points, the agent informed me I could receive the
> 40% discount on my paid Cabin for 2 from Winnipeg
> to Vancouver.   ...

I did that with an award trip without a problem. The agent had to cancel the original booking for a cabin for 1 then make a new one for the cabin for 2. The surcharge in points is 75%. I was told that is the child's rate that is charged for the unused upper berth in a cabin for 2. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds