Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA's Glenfraser Car and Pavilion

Date: 01/13/19 21:30
VIA's Glenfraser Car and Pavilion
Author: jp1822

Anyone know if there are any plans to operate, sell, scrap or do anything with these two cars that VIA seems to have shipped off to the non-operating world? 

VIA used to operate the Glenfraser Lounge Car occasionally on the Niagara Falls route when a VIA train ran to/from the station there. Other than that I think it was part of the fleet that VIA would charter out for business affairs and such at one time. But I haven't heard of this car running in any kind of service or use in quite some time. It was part of VIA's BCR passenger car purchase, that is part of a larger purchase from the old BCR in order to acquire the ex-BCR Panorama Lounge Cars - now on the Canadian and train to Prince Rupert during peak periods. I thought I had heard that this car was never "winterized" so at best it was only operational in warmer weather at best. 

As part of the same deal, VIA took possession of a tail-end car called Pavilion that also was ex-BCR heritage (but dated back to 1939 and was even operational in Florida at one time). It had operated with the Panorama Cars and Glenfraser on BCR's high-end Northwind (???) luxury train. Ironically the train was launched only a couple of years before BCR was sold off. I saw the car only once when on the Maple Leaf. It was Parked at the Toronto Maintenance facility just outside the station as we were leaving Toronto. Some thought that this car would be a nice addition to the Chaleur (train to Gaspe) since it only required one trainset for operation and they only have one car of this type. I don't think it was EVER operated in any kind of service by VIA Rail. Only the three Panorama cars that VIA acquired seemed to have "made it" into some sort of service. 

Have the Northern Spirit Sleeping Cars (ex Amtrak 10-6 Heritage Sleepers) been scrapped or sold? These operated on the train to Churchill (Hudson Bay Train) starting around 2000 but were soon deemed a maintenance disaster as they couldn't sustain the Canadian cold. I believe VIA first leased the cars, then bought them outright. I believe it was a fleet of five sleeping cars. Ironically, the Chateau sleepers could and were placed back in service after the Northern Spirit Sleeping Cars were finally pulled off. They resided outside of the Winnipeg Train Station for many years. The Northern Spirit Cars were part of VIA's efforts to try and alleviate its shortage on sleepers (Chaleur was requiring two sleepers at least, Ocean was operating six days a week with the Budd sleepers, and then the Canadian was operating three days a week and requiring any and all sleepers it could).

Curious if anyone has any pictures or knowledge on where any (including Northern Spirit) of these cars may be or planned for etc.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/19 21:45 by jp1822.

Date: 01/14/19 05:49
Re: VIA's Glenfraser Car and Pavilion
Author: DrawingroomA

Glenfraser is still in use. I see it from time to time in the yard at the Toronto Maintenance Centre. I don't have the exact date, but most recently I saw it shortly before Christmas on the back of a train that was heading east.

A few years ago the Ocean en route to Montreal was re-routed through the Maintenance Centre yard. That was the only time I saw Pavilion.

The last time I saw the Northern Spirit sleepers they were at the Maintenance Centre in Winnipeg. That was a few years ago. On my last trips through the area on the Canadian I did not see them there and have no idea if they have been disposed of or not.

Date: 01/14/19 06:39
Author: Topfuel

I'm pretty sure the Northern Spirit 10-6 sleepers were all sold to mexico a few years ago.

Date: 01/14/19 06:59
Author: Mberry

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glenfraser is still in use. I see it from time to
> time in the yard at the Toronto Maintenance
> Centre. I don't have the exact date, but most
> recently I saw it shortly before Christmas on the
> back of a train that was heading east.
>
> A few years ago the Ocean en route to Montreal was
> re-routed through the Maintenance Centre yard.
> That was the only time I saw Pavilion.
>
> The last time I saw the Northern Spirit sleepers
> they were at the Maintenance Centre in Winnipeg.
> That was a few years ago. On my last trips through
> the area on the Canadian I did not see them there
> and have no idea if they have been disposed of or
> not.

I also see or see reports of Glenfraser on corridor trains here and there. I believe I last saw it on VIA 63, towards the end of last year.

Michael

Date: 01/15/19 12:10
Author: joemvcnj

Anyone have a photo of "Pavillion" ?

Date: 01/15/19 18:28
Author: railsmith

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Anyone have a photo of "Pavillion" ?

This photo was taken in March 2001, right after a pre-launch publicity event in North Vancouver. The Whistler Northwind operated for only two spring/summer seasons and likely carried fewer than 5,000 passengers in that time. The lounge-observation car "Pavilion" was for the exclusive use of the Summit-class (premium fare) passengers, who also had their own full dining car and glass-roofed coach (now VIA 1722).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/19 18:33 by railsmith.

Date: 01/15/19 20:26
Author: BuddPullman

These photos were on the internet a while back.  The car shown is reported to be former CB&Q "Silver Dale" built in 1953 for the Burlington's "American Royal Zephyr".  If you Google VIA "Silver Dale" Spirit, some additional images will come up from several sources.

Date: 01/16/19 13:51
Author: DrawingroomA

Glenfraser was in the yard at the Toronto Maintenance Centre yesterday and today. It was atttached to a HEP-2 coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/19 13:51 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 01/16/19 14:55
Author: joemvcnj

It is the last of the 1950's CN CC&F Corridor fleet. I remember those long, black and white trains very well. They looked classy. I never liked VIA's initial blue and yellow scheme on those cars.  

Date: 01/18/19 11:26
Author: 4489

joemvcnj Wrote:
> It is the last of the 1950's CN CC&F Corridor
> fleet. I remember those long, black and white
> trains very well. They looked classy. I never
> liked VIA's initial blue and yellow scheme on
> those cars.  

Black and Grey please!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds