Home Open Account Help 166 users online

Canadian Railroads > Sightseer Sunday - Rocky Mountaineer at Canoe River, 2004

Date: 01/13/19 16:40
Sightseer Sunday - Rocky Mountaineer at Canoe River, 2004
Author: feclark

Last week I posted the Rocky Mountaineer from a trip in 2002. Two years later, we headed back from Edmonton to Ashcroft, overnighting at Jasper. Next day, the Jasper to Ashcroft leg coincided with the run of the Jasper to Kamloops leg of the Rocky Mountaineer, and we got good light and a leisurely drive. Having shot it at a couple of places before sun got above the mountain peaks, our next encounter was south of Valemount on the Albreda Sub, at Canoe River, MP 82.6 (not sure of the MP for the trestle itself). We were lucky in that a fire had run through here a year earlier, I think, and almost all the trees were down. So we had a pretty wide open shot of the bridge as RMRR 8015 led the 9 cars of #609 across it at 0928. There is one tree hanging on, at the second car in the consist, that I really wanted to take out, but didn't know how much time I had before the train was going to roll by. I figured I'd get caught in the field with my bucksaw doing the deed, for sure. As it turned out, I would have had the time, and in fact, that sucker was burned and probably would have toppled with a good push with my foot. Oh, well. This shot is completely treed in again; a forest can recover pretty quickly.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds