Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Canadian Railroads > Dining on The Canadian

Date: 02/14/19 13:37
Dining on The Canadian
Author: tomdoyle409

I will be travelling to Toronto from Vancouver leter this month in a cabin, and am curious about whether lunch is served (1) after departure from Vancouver and (2) prior to arrival in Toronto.

Not a big deal either way, in fact I know that there is/was a Bob's Big Boy (?) or some suce place in the Vancouver station.  

Date: 02/14/19 14:46
Re: Dining on The Canadian
Author: viatrainrider

It may be an A&W in Vancouver station.

In any event on my last trip last October, lunch was served in diner upon departure from Vancouver.  BTW, in order to move all passengers through lunch as fast as possible a light dessert was served in the Skyline and Park Car, not the diner.  The lunch didn't start until 12:30 PM so therefore it was necessary I suppose to get all sittings done as soon as possible in order to start preparing for the first dinner sitting.

Have a great trip but don't have same day connections in Toronto.

Date: 02/14/19 14:48
Author: viatrainrider

Yes, lunch is served prior to arrival in Toronto.  Just hope you are not still there for dinner before Toronto arrival.

Date: 02/15/19 00:18
Author: BigDave

"Dining on The Canadian" sounds like an Art House Zombie movie... (^_^)

Date: 02/15/19 00:47
Author: railsmith

viatrainrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may be an A&W in Vancouver station.

It is indeed an A&W (it was a McDonald's until 2013).  It features a great photographic mural on its south wall, depicting CN streamlined 4-8-4 locomotive No. 6400 at London, Ont., with the eastbound Royal Train of 1939 and sister 6401 alongside on a pilot train. So bring your camera as well as your appetite.

Date: 02/15/19 06:24
Author: DrawingroomA

When I last took the eastbound Canadian a light lunch was served in two sittings on departure from Vancouver. The passenger load, as usual for that time of year, was fairly light. As for the last scheduled meal coming into Toronto, brunch was served. It was a combination of lunch and breakfast items. There was no dessert offered, but two of my friends asked if there was any left-over dessert. There was and it was served to all who wanted it. The Canadian has often arrived in Toronto two or more hours early (yes, even in winter - but not this month yet!). That is the reason why on the last day only continental breakfast was served, starting at 6:30, followed by brunch at 9:30.

Starting on the 29th of April departure from Vancouver will be 15:00, so there will be no need for a lunch in the dining car.

Date: 02/16/19 13:23
Author: tomdoyle409

Thanks everyone for your responses.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds