Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA - Vancouver to Toronto

Date: 01/18/20 15:51
VIA - Vancouver to Toronto
Author: asheldrake

Wife and I Just booked a cabin for September 14th....have not ridden VIA Rail before and am looking for tips/suggestions for the trip.   thanks,
      Arlen

Date: 01/18/20 16:58
Re: VIA - Vancouver to Toronto
Author: andersonb109

Do not pay any attention to any sure to be forthcoming post by "Streamliner" about what a horrible time you will have. 

Date: 01/18/20 17:19
Author: andersonb109

Also, while It appears you have already  booked. But if you don't have a Bedroom F, consider asking them to change your room if an F is available. It's slightly larger than the other bedrooms which makes a big difference especially if two are occupying the room. Also, a car towards the rear is nice as it's a shorter walk to the Park Car. However access to that car will have restricted hours when you travel and many seats in the dome blocked out for Prestige passengers. Not to worry though. There will be a Skyline dome directly in front of the diner (or in front of both diners if two are in use).

Date: 01/18/20 19:27
Author: agentatascadero

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not pay any attention to any sure to be
> forthcoming post by "Streamliner" about what a
> horrible time you will have. 

Mr Anderson, I think it would be a good , no, make that great, idea for you to cease your beacon call for that complainer to make another apearance here.  I think the best policy would to never refer to him, as we know, he just can't help himself.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 01/18/20 19:50
Author: viatrainrider

Good tip on room F. We had it last spring.  In the CP days it was sold as a compartment so it is a nice bit larger now at the same cost as the other rooms.  I wish I could tell you if your car  will be forward or back closer to the diner.  For our upcoming March trip, VIA told me the 15 car and 14 car we are booked in will be to the rear next to the Sleeper Skyline.  People I trust here on TO tell me the 15/14 likely will be all the way forward.  I have made three calls to VIA to change to a 11 or 12 car hoping to be back.  They still insist the 15/14 will be back by the sleeper Skyline!!  So my wife and I have decided have decided that where ever we are will be okay;  if 15/14 are all the way forward, the extra walk will do us good as we always eat too much on Trans 1 - 2!  So that is a matter of confusion.

Another tip:  go early to Vancouver Central Pacific station.  There is a nice First Class lounge and outdoor patio which should be nice at that time of year.  There you can view VIA staff getting North America's finest passenger train ready to go.

Know that on board service staff change at Winnipeg.  You may wish to do gratuities at Winnipeg and Toronto.

So enjoy the ride and all there is offered.  The good food and service and wonderful deserts.  My other tip is don't worry about the diet!!

And come back with a trip report on this forum.

Date: 01/18/20 20:54

This one of the major reasons I enroll in this service......MUCH appreciation for this help and information....I VERY much appreciate your kindness.
     Arlen Sheldrake
     Portland OR

Date: 01/19/20 15:00
Author: jp1822

asheldrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wife and I Just booked a cabin for September
> 14th....have not ridden VIA Rail before and am
> looking for tips/suggestions for the trip.  
> thanks,
>       Arlen

I know your trip is not till Sept 2020, but perhaps you will be kind enough to provide a trip report of your first "VIA Rail" trip so we can gain what a first timer may say about the Canadian. Please do so indepdently. 

What's your accommodation - Sleeper Plus, a "Cabin for Two?"

Date: 01/19/20 19:03
Author: tsparky

If you have items to charge take an extension cord for the 120V outlet in your cabin.

Date: 01/20/20 18:15

developed a schedule conflict so needed to change dates....called VIA Rail today and a VERY nice lady helped me move from a 9/14 to 9/28 depature....and, she noted she had four discounted bedrooms, would I like one??..so we are in car 212 unit F; have boarding passes.  saved a BUNDLE.  (she noted that the only difference between the discounted and regular priced tickets was the cancellation cost....even if we have to cancel, our cost would be lower.     don' know all about VIA Rail's customer service but this lady was TOPS....reminds me of our experiences on the Rocky Mountaineer last september

now to get an extension cord......     thanks again to posters!          Arlen 

Date: 01/21/20 08:23
Author: viatrainrider

Most VIA Customer service is great.
Glad you got F!  That will be great all the way to Toronto!  And close to the shower!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds