Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Canadian Railroads > Groundhog Day - 15 Years Ago

Date: 02/02/20 09:43
Groundhog Day - 15 Years Ago
Author: cn6218

On February 2, 2005 I took what I thought at the time was a bold step, and ventured out of the house to shoot trains without a film camera.  I just took the little Canon Drebel that I had bought for my wife a few months earlier, and decided to see what I could really do with it.  It wasn't the first time I had used it for trains, but was the first time it was the primary (and only) image capturing device with me for the day.

I started off near Truro, NS finding CN's train 120 on the Bedford Sub.  BNSF 5342 tucked in behind the usual CN SD75I was a nice surprise.  I got them at a few different places, but perhaps my favourite was crossing the Shubenacadie River at the town of Shubenacadie.

After 120 had arrived at Rockingham, I headed out again, this time to the Annapolis Valley, and found the Windsor & Hantsport's wayfreight about to head back from New Minas, at the extreme western end of the line.  That netted some good shots too, but perhaps the most challenging was getting the focus right as the leased GMD-1 and RS-23 neared the Mt. Denson road crossing with their empty covered hoppers.

GTD

(I had mistakenly stated that the CN train was one of the first 122s to come to Halifax.  I was thinking of Groundhog Day in 2004, a year earlier)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/20 17:58 by cn6218.

Date: 02/02/20 10:12
Re: Groundhog Day - 15 Years Ago
Author: refarkas

First-class work.
Bob

Date: 02/02/20 10:26
Re: Groundhog Day - 15 Years Ago
Author: ghCBNS

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On February 2, 2005..........  I got them
> at a few different places, but perhaps my
> favourite was crossing the Shubenacadie River at
> the town of Shubenacadie.
>
You didn't take a sidetrip into the Wildlife Park to see Shubenacadie Sam? And on that sunny day 15 years ago....I'm sure it was 6 more weeks of winter just like today!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/6-more-weeks-of-winter-says-shubenacadie-sam-1.5449220

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds