Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Canadian Railroads > “Out of service” Track Siding

Date: 03/25/20 14:32
“Out of service” Track Siding
Author: Textiles

i recently came across a track siding , and the switches on both ends of the siding had locks and signs that said “Out of service”. It’s on a BNSF line South of Vancouver, The siding does not serve any customers, but it is right next to the Canada-USA Border, a couple years ago there would pretty frequently be a random few rail cars sitting on the siding for months on end. I assumed it’s because they couldn’t cross the border for whatever reason. Now it has an out of service sign, just wanted some insight. How often does this happen? Why is it out of service? Am I correct about the intended use of the siding?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/25/20 15:25
Re: “Out of service” Track Siding
Author: TAW

Textiles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i recently came across a track siding , and the
> switches on both ends of the siding had locks and
> signs that said “Out of service”. It’s on a
> BNSF line South of Vancouver, The siding does not
> serve any customers, but it is right next to the
> Canada-USA Border, a couple years ago there would
> pretty frequently be a random few rail cars
> sitting on the siding for months on end. I assumed
> it’s because they couldn’t cross the border
> for whatever reason. Now it has an out of service
> sign, just wanted some insight. How often does
> this happen? Why is it out of service? Am I
> correct about the intended use of the siding?
>

That track was for cars impounded by Canada Customs. The BN White Rock station (a trailer, not the station building by the park) was located there. If paperwork was missing or incomplete for cars on a northward train, they were set out there and held until the situation was rectified. If it was not rectified within a certain period (don't remember how long, it's been 42 years since I worked Blaine and Sumas), the shipment (and if I remember correctly, the car the shipment was in) became property of The Queen.

We had visions of that activity occurring at Swift back when I specified the location of the new siding and customs facility. It was a long uphill battle to get Canada Customs to come to Swift to work the trains and the last I was involved, it hadn't happened yet. Maybe the day has finally come.

TAW

Date: 03/25/20 15:33

Ah I see... Where exactly was this “station” located, because this siding went out of service sometime in 2018 and I never knew anything about this...

Date: 03/25/20 15:45

By the way, off topic question, but you said you worked Blaine and Sumas, are you Canadian or American?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/25/20 22:59

Textiles Wrote:
> By the way, off topic question, but you said you
> worked Blaine and Sumas, are you Canadian or
> American?
>

Born in Berwyn IL across the street from the Q commuter station (must have gotten it in the blood there).

TAW

Date: 03/25/20 23:09

Textiles Wrote:
> Ah I see... Where exactly was this “station”
> located, because this siding went out of service
> sometime in 2018 and I never knew anything about
> this.

The trailer was at the north switch, on the east side, about 50 feet from the track.

The original (heavily remodeled) station is now the White Rock Museum & Archives http://www.whiterockmuseum.ca/.

TAW..

Date: 03/25/20 23:24

Yeah I know where the current building is, I live in white rock. But i don’t remember a building ever being there for customs and that siding only went out of service 2 years ago

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/20 23:31 by Textiles.

Date: 03/25/20 23:28

And if you haven’t been involved with the line in 42 years why are you aware of what’s currently going on with the old station building?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/26/20 09:50

Textiles Wrote:
> And if you haven’t been involved with the line
> in 42 years why are you aware of what’s
> currently going on with the old station building?
>

I didn't say I haven't been involved in the line in 42 years (last was setting up the new operating plan that lasted less than one day, Dec 18 2017). I haven't handled Customs activity in 42 years. The old station is a well known museum.I was last there something like five years ago.

I don't remember when they did away with the operators at Blaine and White Rock and started handling customs work remotely. It's been quite a while (as with all the other operator jobs).

TAW

Date: 03/26/20 11:30

Ah, thanks for the help.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds