Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Canadian Railroads > RIP Harry Home, famous CN engineer

Date: 03/31/20 10:13
RIP Harry Home, famous CN engineer
Author: eminence_grise

Sad to hear, Harry Home, a retired CN locomotive engineer passed away on Monday , March 30th in Jasper AB. He was 86

Here is shown at Warden AB. in 2004 on the Alberta Prairie at the controls of CN 6060, the locomotive he was responsible for being returned to operation after many years on display at Jasper station.

The late Ernie Ottewell, a retired CP locomotive engineer was his fireman that day. Ernie passed away a couple of years ago at age 92

Harry was always enthusiastic and optimistic in everything he did, most notably convincing his employer CN to restore 6060 to operation, and also convincing the Alberta Government to take ownership of the locomotive.

The control point at the west end of Jasper yard is called Home in honour of Harry's dad who was also a CN locomotive engineer. Harry's dad was a locomotive engineer based out of Lucerne BC, a division point on the Canadian Northern near to Jasper which was abandoned in favour as Jasper. Harry was born in Kamloops BC, where his father relocated because Jasper was a GTP division point and as a CNor engineer, Home senior didn't have seniority to hold.

Harry was long active in the BLE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/20 17:41 by eminence_grise.

Date: 03/31/20 10:27
Re: RIP Harry Home, famous CN engineer
Author: 1-12016

I am sorry to hear that.  I met harry in redpass in 1963 when i worked there as an operator and had met him three  times after i i  left canada . the last time in 2011. I talked to him on the phone three weeks ago. A man with thorough knowledge of steam railroading. he will be missed

ozzie korsnes
trondheim norway

Date: 03/31/20 13:06
Author: cn6218

Thanks for telling us about him, Phil.

What a class act.  Shirt and tie in a steam locomotive cab!

GTD

Date: 03/31/20 13:17
Author: gaspeamtrak

Yes that was quite nice for sharing this news with us.
I saw 6060 in Galt ,Ontario once and she was amazing to see and stand by !!! 
A class act...
RIP Harry Home ...:):):)

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for telling us about him, Phil.
>
> What a class act.  Shirt and tie in a steam
> locomotive cab!
>
> GTD

Date: 03/31/20 13:23
Author: telegraphboy

I am very sorry to hear this.  I went to school with Harry and sister Beth.  Lived only 1 block away from
Harry when he lived at Kamloops.  I think my best memory of Harry occurred during the Steam Expo
of 1986 (?)  when he took 6060 to Vancouver.  It was so hot that his watch chain rusted.  He was greeted
at Kamloops Junction by the Rube Band, of which my brother was  a member. The picture was at one of our
CN Annual Xmas dinners.  RIP Harry.,

Sid Reith. 

Date: 03/31/20 15:16
Author: exrtc

Harry was a true proffessional ( and a hell of a clarinet player)

Chris Rye

Date: 03/31/20 17:50
Author: Train611

Harry was a gentleman railroader. He took pride in his family, friends and workmates.
His passion for 6060 was infectious.
I enjoyed part time work associations with Harry at Stettler AB on 6060. Also enjoyed coffee with Harry when travelling through Jasper.
We will all miss him.

Russ G.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/31/20 18:08
Author: WCMR2008

Well put Russ

It was that gentleman and his beloved 6060 that were responsible at Steamexpo for turning up the fire under what was my then still a simmering interest in Steam.

J. 

Date: 03/31/20 19:09
Author: 4489

Thank you Harry for taking  care of 6060 while she was sleeping at Jasper Station, waiting for her Resurrection!  R.I.P.

Date: 04/01/20 11:40
Author: Ardenwood

Picture 1.  Getting ready for Vancouver (I think at the right might be Harry)
Picture 2.  Harry whistles annoncing to the citizens of Jasper she is ready
Picture 3.  Canadian National 6060 with Alberta insignia takes off for Vancouver
These were taken in May 1986 (I could be wrong)
He was a kind man even to a stupid railfan from abroad. R.I.P.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds