Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Canadian Railroads > Ocean at Folly Lake, NS in 2005

Date: 04/05/20 17:46
Ocean at Folly Lake, NS in 2005
Author: cn6218

Since the Ocean is still not running, I'm continuing with some slide scans of the train from the not-too-distant past.  These shots are all from March 26, 2005.

I'd spent the morning between Halifax and Moncton, following train 307 west to Truro, getting 148 at Debert, and then 120 at Oxford Jct.  Eventually, 307 caught up with me again, so I followed them to Moncton, finishing there about 13:30.  By this time the eastbound Ocean, VIA 14 was heading east, and the first image here is of the Budd train in the siding at Folly Lake, just after 15:00.  What I can't remember 15 years later is, "Why were they in the siding?"  A meet with 15 would have made sense, but there are no pictures of 15.  The main line signal at the west end is showing stop, so it's possible I didn't get there quite in time, and 15 went past, or perhaps it hadn't yet turned green.

Anyway, closer to the east end, 14 was still moving along slowly in the siding as they passed this frozen pond at the classic "Folly Lake from the TCH" location.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/20 18:02 by cn6218.

Date: 04/05/20 17:56
Re: Ocean at Folly Lake, NS in 2005
Author: cn6218

The slow pace of the train through the siding and out the other end allowed me to easily get over the hill and setup at the highway overpass for the next shot in the cut.  In the winter particularly, the sun needs to be just about head-on to get the train well lit here.  This was about 15 minutes after the shots at Folly Lake, so it's possible the westbound went past while I was driving.

At the bottom of the hill, I had no trouble getting to the trestle first, since the train needs to go about twice the distance I had to drive on the highway. It was now 15:23

The last shot of the Ocean was at Stewaicke, the site of the infamous sabotage wreck almost 4 years earlier.  The old station, feed mill, and spur tracks were all gone by this time, with only the switch ties on the main line to indicate there had ever been more than straight rails here.  The train had looped through Truro and made a station stop there before arriving at my location at 16:07.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/20 04:36 by cn6218.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds