Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Canadian Railroads > Refund Policies for cancelled travel; Canada.

Date: 04/12/20 08:33
Refund Policies for cancelled travel; Canada.
Author: eminence_grise

Seasoned travellers will note there are significant differences in terms of traveller protection between the US and Canada. Simply put, there are fewer regulations in Canada regarding cancelled and delayed flights. Prior to Covid 19, the Canadian Government passed a travellers rights bill in Parliament which granted passengers compensation regarding cancelled and delayed flights but it did not contemplate the system shutdown created by the pandemic. 

The airlines and other travel business is in a financial crisis during the pandemic, and since the legislation doesn't deal specifically with this situation, the carriers are making their own policy. Basically, they are not refunding cancelled trips but are offering vouchers good for future travel, something which seems to becoming a general practice in the Canadian travel industry.

Rocky Mountaineer is as much of a travel agency as it is a tour train operator. Their policy seems to be to offer a travel voucher for future travel rather than a refund. Also, as the effects of the pandemic unfold, they have been cancelling trips later and later into 2020. In the midst of this, the suspension of service over a portion of CN's former BC Rail route came about suddenly after Rocky Mountaineer had made bookings for the season for that route.

It is not just Rocky Mountaineer guests who are getting this treatment, Sunwing Vacations is a major tour operator and charter airline, and both Air Canada and Westjet operate subsidiary travel companies.

Travel advocacy groups are contemplating a class action lawsuit, but for now, thousands of travellers are out a lot of money at a time they need it.

Rocky Mountaineer is a private company owned by a handfull of individuals. The pandemic must have caused a major financial hit to this company. Hopefully they survive this tragedy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/20 13:55 by eminence_grise.

Date: 04/12/20 10:04
Re: Refund Policies for cancelled travel; Canada.
Author: viatrainrider

VIA Rail offered refunds to passengers canceled.  I was one of them.

Date: 04/12/20 13:13
Author: Valleyman

My wife and I had a round trip Flight from California to Scotland  on United Airlines. United Airlines canceled this flight three weeks ago. United is refusing to refund my $2400.00, They have offered me a voucher, that has to be used within 24 months. I also have another flight scheduled on United to Nashville for National N-Scale Convention in June. This is still up in the air if it will happen. Otherwise I will be out another $1200.00 for that flight as well. Seeing as I will be the one canceling that flight, United may not want to give me 24 months to book another flight some where. 

Not sure how many flights I want to take just to use up $3600.00 in vouchers. Time will tell.

Valleyman

Date: 04/12/20 13:52
Author: andersonb109

Air Canada won't refund.. YVR to Sacramento. When would I ever use that routing or that airline again. Probably never. It was a one time only unique circumstance to ride the Canadian and get to Pete Lerro's charter in California.  Not to mention the border was closed on the day of the flight so couldn't have gotten to Vancouver even if I wanted to. Air Canada should be ashamed as to how they are treating the customers. I will NEVER consider them for travel again. By contrast,  Delta offered to refund my upcoming flight to Heathrow. I happily took the money in my wallet as will certainly use them again.. 

Date: 04/12/20 15:22
Author: joemvcnj

I don't have the time or money to use Rocky Mountaineer, but if I did, I would not patronize them. Their union-busting antics of about 10 years, that they eventually won, I found immoral and offensive, and I wouldn't patronize them. 

Date: 04/12/20 15:31
Author: DrawingroomA

Unfortunately, the Canadian Transportation Agency has recently ruled that Canadian airlines do not have to give monetary refunds for cancellations due to the COVID-19 issue. I have another Air Canada booking to and from New York for the summer.  There has been discussion about the differences between the rules in the US and Canada on the cruise discussion site "Cruise Critic." I can't do a copy and paste for some reason, but the U.S. Department of Transportation's Office of Aviation and Enforcement and Proceedings (Aviation Enforcement Office) has ordered that "the airlines obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged." This order applies to U.S. and foreign carriers.

The Queen Mary 2 Atlantic crossing we were taking has been cancelled. The flights have not yet been cancelled, but with Canadian travel advisories in effect and the ban on cross-border tourism this could be something to be dealt with by our travel insurance. If the return flight from New York is cancelled or significantly rescheduled we would be entitled to a refund thanks to the US government.

Cunard is offering future credits or refunds at the passengers' choice and, as has been stated, VIA is offering refunds. Until the end of May - at least - VIA is offering refunds even if the passengers cancel before the train is cancelled. It seems airlines are special.

Date: 04/12/20 18:12
Author: gaspeamtrak

You are so right!
Let them go bankrupt !
Maybe Via could take it over!!! :):):)

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have the time or money to use Rocky
> Mountaineer, but if I did, I would not patronize
> them. Their union-busting antics of about 10
> years, that they eventually won, I found immoral
> and offensive, and I wouldn't patronize them. 

Date: 04/13/20 04:00
Author: ghCBNS

joemvcnj Wrote:
> I don't have the time or money to use Rocky
> Mountaineer, but if I did, I would not patronize
> them. Their union-busting antics of about 10
> years, that they eventually won, I found immoral
> and offensive, and I wouldn't patronize them. 

What's that old saying.....'Don't cut off your nose to spite your face'??

I'm certainly not going to let some management/union dispute of nearly 10 years ago......that has nothing to do with me infringe on my enjoyment of one of the best rail experiences out there with it's top-notch service and amenities.

I did it in Red Leaf awhile ago and was ready to go all out and book Gold Leaf for this year when Covid hit. Perhaps I'll get a chance this fall or next spring.

(CAA members get excellent deals....perhaps AAA has similar for Americans)

Date: 04/13/20 04:07

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
---------------------------------------
>
>You are so right!
>Let them go bankrupt !
>Maybe Via could take it over!!! :):):)

Yeah Right!...and how do you think VIA would pay??

Today's Rocky Mountaineer had it's beginnings as VIA's Rocky Mountaineer and originally as the 'Canadian Rockies By Daylight'.....sold off at the time of the big VIA cuts in January 1990.

Date: 04/13/20 10:34
Author: viatrainrider

I agree with you joemvcn!  I also will not spend one dime on Rocky M!

Date: 04/14/20 06:43
Author: toledopatch

Valleyman Wrote:
> My wife and I had a round trip Flight from
> California to Scotland  on United Airlines.
> United Airlines canceled this flight three weeks
> ago. United is refusing to refund my $2400.00,
> They have offered me a voucher, that has to be
> used within 24 months. I also have another flight
> scheduled on United to Nashville for National
> N-Scale Convention in June. This is still up in
> the air if it will happen. Otherwise I will be out
> another $1200.00 for that flight as well. Seeing
> as I will be the one canceling that flight, United
> may not want to give me 24 months to book another
> flight some where. 
>
> Not sure how many flights I want to take just to
> use up $3600.00 in vouchers. Time will tell.
>

I believe U.S. federal regulations entitle you to a refund if the airline is the party that changed or canceled the itinerary. I think the airlines are expecting people not to fight them on this. Disappoint them.

I was planning to travel to New Mexico this month for a farewell crack at Escalante Western (sigh); in fact, today was the day I was supposed to be flying home. I booked the trip on Delta using a mileage award. Delta put my miles back in my account when I canceled, but they had changed the itinerary several times first. I'm not sure what would have been done had the flights not been changed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/20 07:39 by toledopatch.

Date: 04/14/20 07:01

I realize it was an Airline or 'Rocky Mountaineer' cancelling the trip...therefore cancelling the Contract with you. But would a Force Majeure apply?

It's one for the courts and we know who will get rich on this one!

Date: 04/14/20 07:56
Author: eminence_grise

ghCBNS Wrote:
> I realize it was an Airline or 'Rocky Mountaineer'
> cancelling the trip...therefore cancelling the
> Contract with you. But would a Force Majeure
> apply?
>
> It's one for the courts and we know who will get
> rich on this one!

That appears to be the issue. On the newscast I watched, they cited different examples of the way different companies are handling it, and some airlines initially offered refunds and then changed policy. In one case they told a traveller that a refund was coming, then changed their mind.

Date: 04/14/20 15:18
Author: DrawingroomA

ghCBNS Wrote:
> I realize it was an Airline or 'Rocky Mountaineer'
> cancelling the trip...therefore cancelling the
> Contract with you. But would a Force Majeure
> apply?
>
> It's one for the courts and we know who will get
> rich on this one!

It shouldn't have to result in a court case. Anyone who has paid for something through a credit card and doesn't get it can insist the card issuer do a "charge back". Unfortunately for passengers  the CTA has absolved airlines of their common-law obligations to offer refunds for changes or cancellations due to COVID-19, so that may not work for this issue. But I'm not aware that Rocky Mountaineer has been given the same benefit.  I note on their website RM is adamant that refunds will not be issued.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0907 seconds