Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Canadian Railroads > Field BC - 1979

Date: 09/24/20 11:17
Field BC - 1979
Author: Blackfoot

Three random shots from just east of Field BC, where the Trans Canada Highway crosses over the tracks between the lower and upper Spiral Tunnels.  These were taken on one of many trips I made to this area when I was working at the Chateau Lake Louise,

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 09/24/20 11:19
Re: Field BC - 1979

And two more from the same day, taken at the upper Spiral Tunnel.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 09/24/20 12:32
Author: eminence_grise

Field BC had an old hotel called the "Monarch" after a nearby mine. In the 1970's, Alberta had a strict closing policy, drink up and out the door by midnight, Mountain Time. However, BC Liquor law allowed liquor to be served until 1AM and out the door by 1.30.

The Monarch was very quiet most of the day, just a few regulars. However, come midnight, the Monarch would fill up with visitors from Alberta, many were hotel employees for Lake Louise.

Alberta closing times changed to similar to those in BC, and the nocturnal busy time ended. The hotel burned in the 1980's.

Date: 09/24/20 14:31
Author: 3rdswitch

Excellent trio. Number two, the perfect locomotive lashup, five SD40-2's, best loco ever made.
JB

Date: 09/24/20 15:43

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Field BC had an old hotel called the "Monarch"
> after a nearby mine. In the 1970's, Alberta had a
> strict closing policy, drink up and out the door
> by midnight, Mountain Time. However, BC Liquor law
> allowed liquor to be served until 1AM and out the
> door by 1.30.
>
> The Monarch was very quiet most of the day, just a
> few regulars. However, come midnight, the Monarch
> would fill up with visitors from Alberta, many
> were hotel employees for Lake Louise.
>
> Alberta closing times changed to similar to those
> in BC, and the nocturnal busy time ended. The
> hotel burned in the 1980's.

For a few weeks while I was working the Chateau there was a liquor store strike in Alberta, so 'beer runs' into BC were needed. Take orders from the staff, collect the money, zip into BC and fill up the trunk.  As for the mines, although there was no way to access the Monarch Mine, the Kicking Horse Mine on the north side of the highway was no problem.  Armed with a pair of cheap flashlights and zero common sense my friend and me spent one afternoon exploring the mine shafts of the old Kicking Horse Mine, oblivious to the dangers that may have been lurking in depths of Mount Field.  It's not rail related, but here's a shot taken inside the Kicking Horse Mine.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/20 15:45 by Blackfoot.

Date: 09/24/20 17:14
Author: TCnR

This is all interesting stuff to see and read, I was on a big CP kick for a few seasons. Spent a day or two at the siding between the tunnels for example, a couple trips to Fields, camping in the general area. Used Garden's book about Nicholas Morant but there was another soft cover book that had some great info and photos. Interesting place, lots to see... and a reminder that I need to do more scanning.
Thanks for posting.

Date: 09/25/20 00:24
Author: BoostedFridge

Thanks for sharing these.  A train with a caboose on the end just looks 'right'.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds