Home Open Account Help 228 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Zurich connections

Date: 01/01/08 19:33
Zurich connections
Author: symph1

I need to fly into Zurich and then take the train to Engelberg. How does one get from the Zurich airport to the Zurich HB train station? Any idea how long that might take?

Mike G

Date: 01/01/08 19:45
Re: Zurich connections
Author: dkdc

After you clear customs and get your bags follow the signs to the Bahn (Train). Trains run about every 10 minutes. To get to Engelberg your best bet will be an intercity train to Luzern then local train to Engelberg. The SBB website http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm can provide schedules, fares and the like.

Date: 01/01/08 20:04

Thanks, dkdc. So you're saying there's a train from the Zurich airport right to the station where I can get the train to Luzern? How long a ride is it?

Date: 01/01/08 20:31
Author: dkdc

Actually you can get a train at Zurich Airport that will run to Luzern without changing trains. Board on Platform 4 at 47 past the hour. Train will run to Zurich main station, just stay on it to Luzern. You will arrive on platform 4 in Luzern, train to Engelberg departs track 14 at 11 past, arrives in Engelberg about an hour later.

I recently returned from a 2 week vacation there, traveled all over by train. They make it very easy and convenient to take the train there. If you enjoy your trip half as much as I did you will have a fantastic time! The pic is taken at Engelberg.

Date: 01/01/08 22:05

Terrific, Thank you and Happy New Year!

Date: 01/02/08 09:26
Author: jbwest

Only thing I would add to the previous advice is check to see what kind of Swiss railpasses you might qualify for if you plan on doing any significant amount of additional rail travel. There are a variety of pass options that might or might not fit your plans, but if they do can save a lot relative to buying individual tickets.

John Wes

Date: 01/02/08 10:35

Thanks, John and dkdc. Incidentally, if you have any thought about the various ski runs there, please let me know. Feel free to respond privately, since that's off-topic.

Date: 01/02/08 13:41
Author: reindeerflame

I know it's a foreign concept, but major airports in Europe have intercity trains that run directly to many cities in the country, without burdening the passenger with the need to go downtown first.

It makes sense, doesn't it?

For all rail schedules in Europe, the German DB site is probably the best...even for info on other countries.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds