Home Open Account Help 261 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Rosnava, Slovakia

Date: 04/27/14 00:06
Rosnava, Slovakia
Author: 86235

The freight I was hoping to see hasn't shown, and the next passenger train isn't for 90 minutes so here are some pictures of the 1970s station building it what I dubbed (ironically) the Totalitarian Revival school of architecture. Difficult to describe, but very obvious when you come across it.

It only caters for a handful of trains a day and yet would not look out of place in a city. Needless to say, nothing much disturbed the peace, just the birdsong.

Date: 04/27/14 06:26
Re: Rosnava, Slovakia
Author: tq-07fan

Not that bad looking of a station really. I'd put it somewhere between the now torn down Amtrak Albany-Rensselaer station and London Euston.

Jim

Date: 04/27/14 11:37
Author: 86235

It's not so much the looks, more the in-appropriateness of the building in that location. Rosnava isn't a very big town, and the station is well out of town, 3 or 4 trains each way, depending on what day it is. My principal objection is that the building is styleless (as is Euston), with the added incongruity of painting-by-numbers 'art' adorning both the exterior and the ticket hall. Art which as far as I can see has no specific purpose and bears no obvious connection to Rosnava. But that's really a reflection on the totalitarian regime under which the structure was built.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/14 14:33 by 86235.

Date: 04/27/14 21:23
Author: Alexmarissa

That Rosnava station looks alot like my old Jr. High School. Both were probably built in the 1960's.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/14 19:44
Author: GettingShort

Well it's a bit better than this station at Augustin, Romania. Taken from the EuroNight Ister between Budapest and Bucharest.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjN1zT9R

Date: 05/02/14 22:57
Author: 567Chant

'Totalitarian Revival' -
That is a moniker that needs to gain traction.
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds