Home Open Account Help 266 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Vatican - trams - trains in Rome

Date: 01/16/16 09:40
Vatican - trams - trains in Rome
Author: 3rdboxcar

Just back from a week in Rome, not a railway holiday but here are the railway elements -
We took the Vatican garden tour which is on an open side bus that does not stop but it does pass the Vatican station, the shortest soverign nations railway at 300m. Here are the grab shots.
1 - The Vatican station built in 1933
2 - the right hand side looking towards the tunnel which is a headshunt.
3 - the obligatory fountain at the entrerance.​​​​

Date: 01/16/16 09:43
Re: Vatican - trams - trains in Rome

1 - The freight yard with the headshunt tunnel in the background.
2 - The sliding doors which lead out onto the Italian rail network.​

Date: 01/16/16 09:59

Some of the Trams that we came across -
1 - Number 5 line leaving Termini station interchange, Buses, Trolley buses [that are running on battery], Trams and Mainline trains all together.​
2 - Number 19 line at Piazza Risorgimento San Pietro terminus.
3 - Number 8 line at Argentina [Near Piazza Venezzia]​​

Date: 01/16/16 10:12

1 - Number 8 line with a different type of tram.

The new Leonardo Express trains [somebody with more European knowledge than me will be able to say what they are] They run direct between Rome Termini and Fuiminico airport and are a bit of a cross between trams and trains since they have a low floor but raised sections over the trucks. They hav 2 dedicated platforms at Termini station.

2 - Rome Termini station.
3 - Fuiminico Airport, On the right the FL1 stopping train to Rome Termini​, in the middle the Leonardo Express direct to Rome Termini and on the Left the Frecciargento express services to Florence, Bologna, Padau and Vencie.

Date: 01/17/16 03:00
Author: McKey

Great coverage on Rome 3rdboxcar! Thank you expecailly on sharing pictures of the special deliveried Minuetto (ALe 501 - Le 220 - ALe 502) running to Airport! Looks like coloring is getting more and more colorful from a period of earth + azur colors and white.

Date: 01/17/16 10:00
Author: GPutz

I was in Rome in October 2011.  I didn't find non-stop trains between Termini and the airport.  When did that start?  The stopping service was very difficult to use with luggage.  Gerry

Date: 01/17/16 10:49

I spotted this picture in the 4rail.net Italian gallery, taken in 2012. It appears to be the airport station here. Could we assume you missed the service by one year that time? Glad the service is now there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/16 10:51 by McKey.

Date: 01/17/16 12:04

I have no idea when the service started, although from McKey's 2012 picture the units are still immaculate in 2016, Couple of interioir shots below.

They are a bit of a cross between a tram and a train since they have low level entry doors but raised areas over the trucks​.

Although it is called an express it does not exactly move very fast but it is very clean inside.​

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/16 12:10 by 3rdboxcar.

Date: 01/17/16 23:25

Thank you very much for the inside pictures 3rdboxcar! As you say, the cleanliness of this vehicle is striking!

I'm very surprised to see exact same components being used that Stadler Rail uses on FLIRT1 EMUs... 

Ale501/2 was built by Savigliano plant in Italy, the same location where Pendolinos were constructed at. As these are Alstom built, I suppose they are comfortable? Though it looks like these are as packed with seats as the Russian Velaro-RUS/EVS1/2 trains.  

For the refefrence here is the "Azur colored version" of the train set. (The mountain streams somehow seem to color the Mediterranean around with this color. Might be limestone?)

Date: 01/27/16 08:51
Author: colehour

3rdboxcar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of the Trams that we came across -
> 1 - Number 5 line leaving Termini station
> interchange, Buses, Trolley buses , Trams and
> Mainline trains all together.​
> 2 - Number 19 line at Piazza Risorgimento San
> Pietro terminus.
> 3 - Number 8 line at Argentina ​​

I was just back in Rome in October. I lived there for six years, 2001-2007. I always enjoy seeing rail photos of Rome.

The third picture is at Piazza Venezia, as noted in the brackets. Largo Argentina is a couple of blocks away, and was the terminus of the line until a few years ago. I rode the tram from Piazza Venezia to Trastevere, a very short trip. I also rode the tram (line 3) from Piramide to the Borghese Gardens, a rather roundabout but scenic trip. I believe it is the second longest line on the system.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.081 seconds