Home Open Account Help 320 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Train from Moscow arriving Sukhum, Abkhazia

Date: 06/01/16 21:13
Train from Moscow arriving Sukhum, Abkhazia
Author: GettingShort

This is the service from Moscow arriving in the city of Sukhum (Sukhumi), capital of the partially recognized state of Abkhazia. Originaly a part of Russia it was one of those places grafted on to another Soviet Republic by Stalin to give the receiving country a better industrial and population base. Other examples are Nagorno Karabakh originally Armenian but grafted on to Azerbaijan, Transnistria, part of Ukraine but given to Moldova and more recently Lunhansk and Donetsk in Novorossiya, the current breakaway section of Ukraine that was gifted to Ukraine to give it some bit of industry and skilled workers.
Abkhazia fought a fierce war for independence from Georgia in 1992 and 1993 that lead to a military defeat of Georgia and independence for Abkhazia. 
There is currently rail service between Sukhum and Adler-Sochi in Russia. Included is a long distance overnight service from Moscow.  Sukhum was once a very popular beach destination for higher level Party members and the military. There's a large and what was probably once a very nice sanatorium and rest facility for the Soviet Army there. From what we saw they are still there. There were Russian soldiers present in a number of the dormitory buildings and Russian communication trucks and anti missle batteries. From the looks the latest model BUK M2's. Would love to have seen the superb S300 or S400.
Entering Abkhazia from Georgia is a fairly tense affair as this is one of the most militarized parts of the world. It involves leaving Georgia, but without being stamped out, as Georgia doesn't recognize the independence of Abkhazia, and walking across a war damaged bridge to the Abkhazian checkpoint. What follows next is a most enjoyable Soviet era border crossing experience. Multiple checks and very close scrutiny of passports and entry documents. Once you're through it's off you go in an old Volga or Lada to the capital. nice guest house, and a great Abkhazian meal with plenty of beer, wine, and vodka. A perfect end to an interesting morning and afternoon. 

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/16 09:39 by GettingShort.

Date: 06/01/16 21:22
Re: Train from Moscow arriving Sukhum, Abkhazia

The war damaged shell of Sukhum's railway station.

Date: 06/01/16 21:31

The very attractive but neglected railway station for Novy Afon or New Athos, Abkhazia.

Date: 06/02/16 01:12
Author: dwatry

Thanks for posting photos from a part of the world rarely seen on TO!   Sounds like quite an adventure.

Date: 06/02/16 02:13
Author: spflow

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting photos from a part of the world
> rarely seen on TO!   Sounds like quite an
> adventure.

I agree, thanks a lot. Getting into Abkhazia sounds like entering the US! I recall the train from Vancouver to Seatle in 1976 when we all were herded off to the cafe car for interogation - it made entering East Germany the previous year seem a complete breeze.

Date: 06/03/16 05:19
Author: inCHI

Palm trees!? I realize it isn't that far north, but that was unexpected. Neat architecture and tunnel too. Thanks for posting.

Date: 06/03/16 21:02

inCHI Wrote:
> Palm trees!? I realize it isn't that far north,
> but that was unexpected. Neat architecture and
> tunnel too. Thanks for posting.

Abhkazia is on the coast of the Black Sea so that moderates the temperatures. It was a major resort destination for holiday minded Soviets, that all ended with the war in the early 1990s. Russians are slowly returning but corruption and other problems hamper the areas chance for growth. At some point Moscow might step in an bring order and the rule of law but for now it's sort of the wild west. 
Every one of the ex-Soviet break-away republics has a different character. Nagorno Karabakh is probably the most oredrly and developed followed fairly closely by Transnistria then there's Abhkazia and South Ossetia. 

I'm very glad I visited Abhakazia it's a beautiful fascinating place. Beach on one side and 4,000 meter mountains on the other.

Date: 06/11/16 00:52
Author: JGFuller

War and corruption notwithstanding, we see electrification, concrete ties, and welded rail. Encouraging!

Date: 06/11/16 03:33
Author: spflow

JGFuller Wrote:
> War and corruption notwithstanding, we see
> electrification, concrete ties, and welded rail.
> Encouraging!

Yes, there are other civilisations out there, where things are done perhaps a bit differently but very occasionally rather better than in the US. Abkhazia is hardly an earthly paradise, but I do think the West (not just the US!) need to be careful in being too critical of corruption and violence elsewhere.

I found Chinese railways terrifyingly effective, but I am not sure that I want to live there though.

"He who is without guilt should cast the first stone".

Date: 06/13/16 10:04

JGFuller Wrote:
> War and corruption notwithstanding, we see
> electrification, concrete ties, and welded rail.
> Encouraging!

All typical of the Russian railways. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds