Home Open Account Help 360 users online

European Railroad Discussion > It's Snowing in Finse!

Date: 06/18/18 22:30
It's Snowing in Finse!
Author: gaspeamtrak

Check out the "Web Cam ""

Date: 06/19/18 01:47
Re: It's Snowing in Finse!
Author: norm1153

I haven't been able to connect to it for over a week, now. I just get the rotating icon, but it never connects.

Date: 06/19/18 05:44
Author: DaveL

I cannot get there the way I used to at all, just takes me to a home page.
I'm using, https://stream.webcams.travel/1235134756
to see the cam at all and it only lasts a few seconds before I need to reload the page.
gaspeamtrat,, how are you getting to the cam ?

Dave

Date: 06/19/18 06:28
Author: RoyS

Here's what I use: https://worldcams.tv/transport/finse-railroad-station .....works most of the time.

Date: 06/19/18 07:41

Hi everyone... Yes "RoyS " is correct ! :)
Thank you for putting link in there.
That is what I'm using too...

Date: 06/19/18 10:02
Author: spflow

I was there last month! Doesn't it always snow there?

Date: 06/20/18 22:51

What a nice shot ! How was the trip ? How was the food on the train ? Sorry about all the questions!!!
This trip is on my bucket list!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :):):)

Date: 06/20/18 22:53

Oh yea,one more question? Which cars are better in your opinion, the old ones pictured or the newer cars? Thanks again... :):):)

Date: 06/22/18 07:34
Author: spflow

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yea,one more question? Which cars are better in
> your opinion, the old ones pictured or the newer
> cars? Thanks again... :):):)

Hi, thanks for all your questions which seemed highly appropriate.

This ride is just fantastic and should be on anybody's bucket list, it certainly was on minw ever since I read about it over 60 years ago in a children's trainspotting annual.

We had never been to Norway before, but it is just as one would expect in the sense that everything is all extremely well organised, civilised and lacking in any pretentiousness. We travelled in comfort class,(for only a small supplement of 100 kroner) which is identical to regular class other than you can reserve your seat and obtain free tea and coffee from a dispenser in the centre of the carriage. Under normal circumstances this is hardly worth doing, and of course most trains are one class only in any case.

The café car, which was just two cars away from us, was just perfect in that it was extremely friendly, high quality food very freshly prepared, without any of the fancy style that used to be common on continental restaurant cars, but now is never encountered in any case.

We just had a couple of beers and two pizzas that were as fresh as anything you could find anywhere in Italy. It might have been different if we were dependent upon it for our principal meal of the day, but to be honest we could have had the same again!

As to your enquiry about the difference between the styles of rolling stock, it goes to show how unobservant I am because it was quite late in our journey that I appreciated that there were two different types! I suspect from an internal point of view there is nothing to choose, and while the car we rode in the earlier types, the other seemed identical.

I'm attaching a few pictures which I took inside the train, and I am always happy to answer any other questions that anyone might have.

We were utterly puzzled as to why anybody might think that it ever could be worth emigrating to the US from Norway. The other way round would seem to be much more attractive!

Please do take this trip, it was the best one we have ever done and for that there has been a lot of competition.

Finally, the timings are most suitable, in that if you leave Oslo at around 8:30 AM there is time for a side trip from Myrdal down to Flam and still arrive at Bergen at a decent time before dinner.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1523 seconds