Home Open Account Help 290 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Italian high-speed rail freight service ready for launch

Date: 11/01/18 06:21
Italian high-speed rail freight service ready for launch
Author: JPB

https://www.railjournal.com/freight/italian-high-speed-rail-freight-service-ready-for-launch/

Apparently this is what a 70x80x180 roll container is: https://shop.essebi-italia.it/en/coupon-del-mese/697-roll-container.html

Looks like this service is offering a UPS or FedEx Ground type of package shipping service?

And checkout the Mercitalia video on Youtube.

Q: how fast is Mercitali's definition of high speed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/18 04:07 by JPB.

Date: 11/01/18 07:11
Re: Italian high-speed rail freight service ready for launch
Author: NDHolmes

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Q: how fast is Mercitali's definition of high speed?

It's a modified ETR500 set according to the article, so 300km/h where the track allows it, which is pretty much the entire proposed route from Naples to Bologna.  Should be about a 3-1/2 hour run, vs almost 6 by road assuming traffic is actually moving.

The roll containers seem to be a pretty standard parcel handling cart in Europe.  I admit I'd never seen them until I started working on integrating some European shipping companies, and I discovered the darn things are everywhere.

Date: 11/09/18 16:52
Author: inCHI

Interesting. Wonder how much it will show a need.

Date: 11/09/18 23:43
Author: SOO6617

NDHolmes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JPB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Q: how fast is Mercitali's definition of high
> speed?
>
> It's a modified ETR500 set according to the
> article, so 300km/h where the track allows it,
> which is pretty much the entire proposed route
> from Naples to Bologna.  Should be about a 3-1/2
> hour run, vs almost 6 by road assuming traffic is
> actually moving.

The "High-Speed" line between Roma and Firenze isn't as fast as the rest of the network. Built before the modern era, plenty of tunneling was done to straighten out curves, but the older style cantenary and 3kV DC power supply limit top speeds to about 230kph. That;s close to half of the distance from Napoli to Bologna.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds