Home Open Account Help 223 users online

European Railroad Discussion > DB Ulm-Biberach- Lindau line

Date: 03/13/19 14:25
DB Ulm-Biberach- Lindau line
Author: yooperfan

Considering a trip to Germany and the subject line does not appear reservable in May. Will it be out of service?

Date: 03/13/19 14:36
Re: DB Ulm-Biberach- Lindau line
Author: 86235

According to bahn.com there's a replacement bus service between Biberach and Aulendorf, presumably for engineering works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/19 14:37 by 86235.

Date: 03/14/19 10:53
Author: colehour

I can't resist commenting that this line was the subject of a comic German folksong, "Auf de Schwäb'sche Eisebahne" or "On the Swabian Railroad." It's worth doing a search for a video using the song title, because, as I recall, there are some nice shots of German steam.

Swabians have often been the butt of jokes by other Germans, apparently because of their dialect. Of course, many Germans do not speak High German as their first language, even if they learn it in school.

Date: 03/14/19 12:29
Author: kbs651

Hello Yooperfan,

currently the Suedbahn like it is called is being electrified. Sections of the line will be out of service for a period of time. If you are travelling on a Sunday there will be one direct train in the morning from Ulm to Friedrichshafen in the morning, back in the late afternoon, starting May 1st. This service is routed via Herbertingen. Otherwise you may also go from Ulm to Lindau, then Friedrichshafen via Kempten. This line just is scenic. Some trains go all the way. There actually are three EC-services Munich - Zurich which use vista dome cars in first class. I will try and attach a photo of one such train climbing the Guenzacher Steige just north of Kempten on its was way to Munich. The picture was taken this past January. (Yes, we still have winters).
Please consider this my intruduction to this place.

Cheers from Frankfurt, Germany

Jochen

Date: 03/17/19 12:28
Author: E25

Lovely photo, Jochen.  Near to one of the locations where I was stationed during my military service in the mid-Sixties.  Great memories!

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 03/19/19 14:22
Author: kbs651

Hello Greg,

thank you. This is kind of the last stand of diesels pulling international passenger trains. Once the more or less parallel line via Memmingen is electrified these services will be converted to EMUs. Not really my favourites... 2020 is said to be the last year for the Eurocities on the line via Kempten. After that it will only be diesel railcars. I have attached one more photo of an Eurocity(EC) on its way to Zurich near the village of Oberstaufen. Where were you actually stationed, if I may ask?

Cheers

Jochen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds