Home Open Account Help 245 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Filisur RhB Station Cafe


Date: 07/09/19 06:22
Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: tramfan

My wife and I will be in Switzerland to ride the RhB from Tirano roundtrip the same day. Looking at the shedules, Filisur appears to be a good location to take lunch. I have been unable to find any information as to what their service hours and offerings would be. Does anyone have any information?



Date: 07/09/19 06:46
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: 86235

Tbh I don't remember there being a cafe on the station, there's the Hotel Grishuna next door though, which is highly recommended

https://grischuna-filisur.ch/en/gastronomie



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/19 06:48 by 86235.



Date: 07/09/19 08:23
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: tramfan

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tbh I don't remember there being a cafe on the
> station, there's the Hotel Grishuna next door
> though, which is highly recommended
>
> https://grischuna-filisur.ch/en/gastronomie

Just checked the hotel's website and the restaurant is closed on Wednesday - which is the day we were going to do the roundtrip. It is far enough out on our trip that we could  instead change the Wednesday travel to Saturday travel. But before I do that would there be any other options similar to Filisur? Alp Grum, I think, would be either too soon for eating lunch or possibly too late . I was hoping to go as far as Davos or Chur before turning back towards Tirano.



Date: 07/09/19 12:00
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: 86235

tramfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 86235 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tbh I don't remember there being a cafe on the
> > station, there's the Hotel Grishuna next door
> > though, which is highly recommended
> >
> > https://grischuna-filisur.ch/en/gastronomie
>
> Just checked the hotel's website and the
> restaurant is closed on Wednesday - which is the
> day we were going to do the roundtrip. It is far
> enough out on our trip that we could
>  instead change the Wednesday travel to Saturday
> travel. But before I do that would there be any
> other options similar to Filisur? Alp Grum, I
> think, would be either too soon for eating lunch
> or possibly too late . I was hoping to go as far
> as Davos or Chur before turning back towards
> Tirano.

What about eating on the train?



Date: 07/09/19 16:49
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: mundo

7/8 years ago the station cafe was open and very busy.

Too bad the hotel Rest is closed on Wednesday,  Its an ideal location to spend a couple of days.

The station is a good mile or more from any other faciliity or hotel.



Date: 07/10/19 06:34
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: birdman

It is traditional in Switzerland for Wednesdays to be a quiet day.  Many (it used to be all) schools, businesses, banks, etc. close at noon.  Some close all day. At most main stations, i.e., Chur, St. Moritz, Landquart, etc., there are small stores in the stations themselves or nearby that sell all kinds of food, snacks, drinks, etc. to go.  We always stop at these shops at the beginning of the day and pack a lunch to take with us in a small backpack.  The stores even sell wine and beer.  The two srores that compete with each other are Migros and Coop. On the Rhaetischebahn you msy see one of their  locomotives carrying ab asvertising wrap fir Coop.  Filisur does not have such a store near the station as the station is at the top of a hill and the town is way downin the valley



Date: 07/11/19 05:29
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: sys3175

From a quick look at Google Maps, Bergün/Bravuogn seems to have several Restaurants, more than Filisur; maybe consider stopping there?



Date: 07/11/19 08:02
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: tramfan

Thanks for the suggestion. If it was just me, I would probably just keep moving and forego eating. I try to think of my wife by sitting down to eat in a restaurant.



Date: 07/11/19 08:04
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: tramfan

birdman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is traditional in Switzerland for Wednesdays to
> be a quiet day.  Many (it used to be all)
> schools, businesses, banks, etc. close at noon.
>  Some close all day. At most main stations,
> i.e., Chur, St. Moritz, Landquart, etc., there are
> small stores in the stations themselves or nearby
> that sell all kinds of food, snacks, drinks, etc.
> to go.  We always stop at these shops at the
> beginning of the day and pack a lunch to take with
> us in a small backpack.  The stores even sell
> wine and beer.  The two srores that compete with
> each other are Migros and Coop. On the
> Rhaetischebahn you msy see one of their
>  locomotives carrying ab asvertising wrap fir
> Coop.  Filisur does not have such a store near
> the station as the station is at the top of a hill
> and the town is way downin the valley

Thanks, that explains it! We may redo our itinerary to avoid Wednesday.



Date: 07/11/19 08:06
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: tramfan

sys3175 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From a quick look at Google Maps, Bergün/Bravuogn
> seems to have several Restaurants, more than
> Filisur; maybe consider stopping there?

Thanks, I will check it out.



Date: 07/11/19 21:41
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: railsmith

tramfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the suggestion. If it was just me, I
> would probably just keep moving and forego eating.
> I try to think of my wife by sitting down to eat
> in a restaurant.

There is meal service on some of the regular trains, using cars that resemble classic Wagon Lits restaurant cars, as attached below.  The train in my photo (from September 2018) is Train 1656 (13:41 Tirano-St. Moritz).

On the Albula Line, I saw similar cars on other trains, specifically IR 1129 (09:58 Chur-St. Moritz), IR 1149 (14:58 Chur-St. Moritz), IR 1153 (15:58 Chur-St. Moritz), and IR 1152 (15:02 St. Moritz-Chur).

The service is called Gourmino. It isn't cheap, but then nothing is in Switzerland. Here's the menu:  https://www.rhb.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/redaktion/Home_Marketing/Service___Souvenirs/Bahngastronomie/Gourmino_Speisekarte.pdf

And, of course, the Bernina Express is another option.

If you do decide to take a meal break at Bergun, you'll be able to take in the railway museum there too. I don't know what the place offers in the way of restaurants, but the station is conveniently located in the village (unlike Filisur, which is way down the hill from the station, as another poster has mentioned).



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/19 05:45 by railsmith.




Date: 07/13/19 12:34
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: tramfan

railsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tramfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for the suggestion. If it was just me, I
> > would probably just keep moving and forego
> eating.
> > I try to think of my wife by sitting down to
> eat
> > in a restaurant.
>
> There is meal service on some of the regular
> trains, using cars that resemble classic Wagon
> Lits restaurant cars, as attached below.  The
> train in my photo (from September 2018) is Train
> 1656 (13:41 Tirano-St. Moritz).
>
> On the Albula Line, I saw similar cars on other
> trains, specifically IR 1129 (09:58 Chur-St.
> Moritz), IR 1149 (14:58 Chur-St. Moritz), IR 1153
> (15:58 Chur-St. Moritz), and IR 1152 (15:02 St.
> Moritz-Chur).
>
> The service is called Gourmino. It isn't cheap,
> but then nothing is in Switzerland. Here's the
> menu: 
> https://www.rhb.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/redaktion
> /Home_Marketing/Service___Souvenirs/Bahngastronomi
> e/Gourmino_Speisekarte.pdf
>
> And, of course, the Bernina Express is another
> option.
>
> If you do decide to take a meal break at Bergun,
> you'll be able to take in the railway museum there
> too. I don't know what the place offers in the way
> of restaurants, but the station is conveniently
> located in the village (unlike Filisur, which is
> way down the hill from the station, as another
> poster has mentioned).

Thank you for taking the time for your suggestions. I had forgotten about the museum at Bergun and they have a nice cafe as well. It now looks that we will take the early (!0:07) NB Bernina Express from Tirano to St. Morittz, then a local train to Bergun. That should give me almost 1-1/2 hours at the museum before beginning our return journey South.



Date: 07/13/19 14:36
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: jbwest

I spent a few nights at the Grishuna several years ago and can highly recommend both the hotel and the restaurant.  I was very disappointed to find I had to skip lunch there on the Wednesday I was in the area.  The restaurant is a large step above the typical station cafe.  Davos might be an alternative if your schedule allows, I seem to remember shuttle trains between Filisur and Davos, and lots of places to eat in Davos.

JBWX



Date: 07/14/19 01:24
Re: Filisur RhB Station Cafe
Author: railsmith

tramfan Wrote:

> Thank you for taking the time for your
> suggestions. I had forgotten about the museum at
> Bergun and they have a nice cafe as well. It now
> looks that we will take the early (!0:07) NB
> Bernina Express from Tirano to St. Morittz, then a
> local train to Bergun. That should give me almost
> 1-1/2 hours at the museum before beginning our
> return journey South.

With luck, your train north from St. Moritz will have a coach with a photographer's compartment. Those trains are always marshalled so that the car with the observation compartment is at the south end of the train (photos attached). You'll get a fine view of the triple spiral tunnels in Albula Pass that way. 
 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/19 01:25 by railsmith.






[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0994 seconds