Home Open Account Help 269 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Austrian action

Date: 01/22/20 00:32
Austrian action
Author: bakersfielddave

some main line action  in the Austrain Alps near the italian border i saw on vacation

like a giant train set... but contemporary railroading in the 21st century

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/22/20 00:45
Re: Austrian action

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/22/20 05:58
Author: boejoe

Very interesting.  Was there a connection between the line with all the action and the track seen in your first video where you took most of those shots?
Apparently, there is no need to protect new cars from debris, vandalism, etc as seen in the auto rack train in the first video like we do in the USA.

Date: 01/22/20 08:36
Author: mile250

Great videos. Thanks for sharing.
Open auto carriers? Are Europeans that much better behaved than Americans? I've been disappointed to see that graffiti (after all, an Italian word?) happens there, too.
-Glen in California

Date: 01/22/20 08:47

It would be interesting to see the loading and unloading of the highway tractor-trailers. Do they separate the trains into two or three sections and do it "circus" style?

Date: 01/22/20 09:40
Author: exhaustED

The UK is catching up to the US in terms of graffiti but still lags behind.... litter is very bad in both the US and UK. Mainland Europe has slightly less of a graffiti problem but almost non-existent litter in most areas.

Date: 01/22/20 10:52
Author: F7sForever

When I was a kid, letterboxed VHS tapes showing movies in widescreen format were a bit of a rarity. Most people complained because you cut off part of the size of the image by not using the entirety of the 4:3 aspect ration televisions of the day. (Ah, simpler times.) The very first one I tried out was The Sound of Music, which I had seen several times before in the cropped "pan and scan" mode that most movies were converted into. There's a scene somewhat early on where Maria and Capt. von Trapp are talking, and there is a panorama of the Austrian Alps from edge to edge of the screen behind them. It was the first time I had seen the true cinematography of what to that point had been a triffle of a movie, and I realized what a visual treat some of the movie was. The scene is breathtaking. I was hooked, and watched my movies in widescreen whenever possible from there on.

I say this because the views of your vacation evoke a lot of that same imagery and feeling. That's so darned cool, and I really enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Jody

Date: 01/22/20 13:47
Author: SOO6617

mile250 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be interesting to see the loading and
> unloading of the highway tractor-trailers. Do they
> separate the trains into two or three sections and
> do it "circus" style?

The train stays in one piece minus the locomotives and the passenger car that the drivers ride in. The Rolling Highway flats are "Circus" loaded/unloaded by their own drivers. The end ramps are arranged so that the trucks are facing the correct way.

Date: 01/22/20 13:49
Author: dan

it is   marklin layout guys don't be fooled, i painted the backdrop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/20 13:50 by dan.

Date: 01/22/20 13:51

mile250 Wrote:
> Great videos. Thanks for sharing.
> Open auto carriers? Are Europeans that much better
> behaved than Americans? I've been disappointed to
> see that graffiti (after all, an Italian word?)
> happens there, too.
> -Glen in California
Luzury brands are transported in enclosed autoracks. The place to see autoracks in Germany is along the line to Emden in NW Germany as Emden is the busiest port for the export of new autos from Germany.

Date: 01/22/20 14:39

Check out the opening scene of "European Vacation" with Chevy Chase.

Date: 01/22/20 14:56

boejoe Wrote:
> Very interesting.  Was there a connection between
> the line with all the action and the track seen in
> your first video where you took most of those
> shots?
> Apparently, there is no need to protect new cars
> from debris, vandalism, etc as seen in the auto
> rack train in the first video like we do in the
> USA.

it is  a  large horseshoe curve,  i was on a station platform

Date: 01/23/20 11:13
Author: DocJohn

Where in Austria is this spot.  I have to attend a meeting in Vienna in Ocotber.  I want to see it in person.

John

Date: 01/24/20 04:05

Saint jodok.. i used the local obb electric train from brennero took about 20 or so minutes will post more video and photo later this week
> Where in Austria is this spot.  I have to attend
> a meeting in Vienna in Ocotber.  I want to see it
> in person.
>
> John

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/20 13:38 by bakersfielddave.

Date: 01/24/20 11:36

DocJohn Wrote:
> Where in Austria is this spot.  I have to attend
> a meeting in Vienna in Ocotber.  I want to see it
> in person.
>
> John

The Horseshoe curve is at St. Jodok on the Brenner Pass line south of Innsbruck, Austria, well to the west of Vienna. For the fans of freight traffic the Brenner Base Tunnel project is being delayed so trains will be running for most of the distance south of Innsbruck in the open air for awhile longer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0616 seconds