Home Open Account Help 269 users online

European Railroad Discussion > More Budapest Tatras

Date: 10/31/21 14:10
More Budapest Tatras
Author: 86235

On Thursday we spent a couple of hours riding and photographing Budapest's T5C5 trams.

I won't post them all, just my favourites

1: Near the Rudas Gyógyfürdő stop on the Buda bank of the Danube a pair of T5C5s pass each other on route 56A. The width of the Tatras limit the routes they can operate.

2: Another 56A approaching the Szent Gellért tér stop. That's the Elizabeth Bridge across the Danube in the background, named after Sissy, the Empress Elizabeth, wife of Franz Joseph who was assassinated in 1898.

3: A 56 passes a 56A near the Krisztina tér stop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/21 14:11 by 86235.

Date: 10/31/21 18:07
Re: More Budapest Tatras
Author: Train29

Hope you got to or are going to the Children's Railway assuming it's running. A truly amazing experience. They even run steam occasionally or at least did when we visited a few years ago. 

Date: 11/01/21 00:30

Train29 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hope you got to or are going to the Children's
> Railway assuming it's running. A truly amazing
> experience. They even run steam occasionally or at
> least did when we visited a few years ago. 

No time I'm afraid, maybe next visit.

Date: 11/01/21 18:44
Author: dwatry

Tatras are the best!

Date: 11/05/21 08:02
Author: tq-07fan

Two questions:
How well can you get along in Hungary if you only really English?
Also any idea on how many year the Tatras will be running in Budapest?

dwatry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tatras are the best!

Agree. They were built to last forever!

Jim

Date: 11/06/21 00:59

Almost everyone you come in contact with in Budapest speaks English, elsewhere knowledge of English is spotty.

No idea about the ongoing life of the T5s, I don't think BKK has any current orders for replacements, certainly I've read nothing in Today's Railways Europe. But being high floor they can't remain in service for too much longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/21 08:42 by 86235.

Date: 12/22/21 08:40
Author: moonliter

tq-07fan Wrote:

> How well can you get along in Hungary if you only
> really English?

Budapest, not too bad but certainly less than western European countries, I also speak French and German and found German more helpful than French.  Out in the countryside was some what more challenging but  my wife and I managed. We were in a post office in Vesprém to buy stamps to mail post cards and had no clue what so ever the word for stamps was.  I was in another part of Hungary, every one got off the train short of its final destination, why I do not know.  Waiting around taking photos a electrification project and realizing that all westbound trains were dropping off the passenger, I showed my railway map and pointed to my destination to a track worker.  He said, "buuss, buuss", and pointed to the station.  Then it clicked, because of the electrification construction was in progress, a bus bridge was in use.  The point is we were able to cover the areas outside the large centers helpfulness and friendliness of the Hungarian people.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds