Home Open Account Help 336 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Glenfinnan Viaduct with the Jacobite Steam train (Scotland)

Date: 09/28/22 13:21
Glenfinnan Viaduct with the Jacobite Steam train (Scotland)
Author: NMlurker

After riding the Jacobite Steam train from Fort William to Mallaig on September 15, 2022, we returned to Fort William by coach and stopped at the Glenfinnan Viaduct to observe our train returning eastbound along with hundreds of other tourists. I had enough time to climb the hill that provides with this broadside view. The only problem with this view, other than the wires, is that you cannot tell how curved this viaduct is but I would not have made it back to the bus in time if I had hiked way in there.

1. The eastbound Jacobite Steam train slowly crosses the Glenfinnan Viaduct at 3:30 PM on September 15, 2022. Because there is no turning facility in Mallaig, the locomotive operates 'backwards' on the eastward journey.

2. In Scotland, the sun tends to come out when the train arrives in direct contrast to the typical railfan photographer's curse. That took some getting used to. The crowds were much larger when our train crossed westbound earlier in the day.

Date: 09/30/22 21:48
Re: Glenfinnan Viaduct with the Jacobite Steam train (Scotland)
Author: 567Chant

Superb!
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds