Home Open Account Help 296 users online

European Railroad Discussion > The C30-M - Europe and America in one locomotive

Date: 01/07/23 17:57
The C30-M - Europe and America in one locomotive
Author: inCHI

The attached photo is from Estonian Operail's website, see here:

https://operail.com/en/news/new-locomotives-new-names/

I've already forgetten how I stumbled across this, but my, what a weird aesthetic combination of European and American locomotive design onto one locomotive. The underframe is a reused from an Estonian GE C36-7i, and then above that, everything is new. There are European locomotives that made it to America, and American locomotives that made it to (eastern) Europe - like the C36-7i. But has there ever been a single locomotive that put both together like this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/23 18:01 by inCHI.

Date: 01/07/23 18:03
Re: The C30-M - Europe and America in one locomotive
Author: inCHI

Also, another curious quirk - they took what I (perhaps ignorantly) consider a low-clearance european hood/cab design and managed to make it taller than an American-clearance C36-7i. Just to add to the visual weirdness...

Date: 01/07/23 23:59
Author: SOO6617

Lots of European locomotives have US designed diesel engines from both Cat and Cummins. Not counting the Class 59 operating in Britain or the Class 66 or Class 77 operating in several Western European countries and Poland, there are various locomotives built by Nohab with EMD 567 and 645 engines operating in Europe. There are also locomotives built by Macosa, which became Vossloh and then Stadler in Valencia, Espana, which use both the 12N-710G3 and 16N-710G3 diesel engines. Finally there are the Stadler Eurodual locomotives that are part electric, but also feature a Cat diesel for use on non-electrified track.  

Date: 01/08/23 01:00
Author: 86235

I'm assuming they are re-engineering by CZ Loko, the Czech company who have made a name for themselves rebuilding former Warsaw Pact designs, using the underframe and bogies but building new above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/23 01:01 by 86235.

Date: 01/09/23 17:10
Author: MEKoch

I do not see any mu cables.  Do they have that capability?

Date: 01/09/23 22:58
Author: petmew

Just left above the coupler is the receptacle. Cable is in the cab or in a cabinet.

Date: 01/26/23 13:00
Author: GN1969

Without Russian transit freight to the port of Tallin due the war in Ukraine, this must be a pretty quiet railway these days.

Date: 01/26/23 13:12
Author: gandydancer4

Utilitarian...a face only it's designers could love. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds